Training outside vs. strangers approaching

laoshij

When I have my dog outside, we’re clearly in the middle of training, but someone walks by and either bends down to pet her or does that thing where they slow down and wiggle their fingers at her.

Please d o n o t .

Sage is a reactive dog. We’re working on it, but she needs consistency in her training. Having someone approach her without asking me, is not consistent with her training, and honestly sets the training that we’ve been working so hard on back.

Please always ask owners if you can pet their dogs, from a distance, and then please respect their answer.

@laoshij I keep wanting to “make it a thing” where different colored leashes indicate to others the approachability situation. Like red for please give us space, we are training...green for please approach...

@palmtreelife I know "yellow" is a color for anxious dogs (like you might find a yellow leash at the pet store that says "NERVOUS DOG") but it's definitely not common knowledge. I wish it was. The people who know about colors, are the people who already care and wouldn't approach a strange dog anyway. The people who will never get it are probably the ones we have to worry about the most...

@laoshij Ugh agreed. I feel like this should be something that is stickied on /r/puppy101. I was completely oblivious to reactive dogs when i got my pup. And i see lots of people getting puppies this spring and letting them noodle all over the place at strange dogs and people. Makes me nervous for them, let alone me and my girl.

@c5780 I was the same! And that sub didn’t reeally give me much advice for her reactivity back when I probably could’ve used it more. It was all “oh it’s just a fear period, she’ll grow out of it” Well no, she didn’t. She still hates new people, despite all of our efforts.

@jimbone So happy to see someone who has had the same experience! I've been training my dog completely wrong for over a year because of all the rubbish advice in subs like that. My dog is 2 this year and is actually worse on walks than when he first started!

@lk0515 Mine is two this year too! Walks are definitely still a struggle for us, especially with all the increased activity thanks to the pandemic. Good luck with your guy! We can only do so much and just love them through it all anyway.

@jimbone Tbh Dogtraining is a much better sub. Puppy101 is full of people who will tell anyone with a skittish puppy that it "just needs time" or will even encourage people with very specific needs (e. g. small kids or other animals in the house) to just adopt that 5 month old dog from a Craigslist offer where it's unclear if it's a puppy mill or if the dog had any socialization at all. It always boggles my mind and I feel like I'm the only one telling people they should get a trainer and take things like skittishness seriously.

@laoshij Surprised people still do this even though we’re supposed to be social distancing. In addition to being rude, how irresponsible. Everyone at my apartment has been great about it which has been amazing for my little dude.

I saw a dog on here (or another sub maybe) that had a vest that said “DO NOT PET” on it. Maybe you could look into something like that? It sucks that you are the one that has to pick up the slack for other people’s ignorance, but better than putting unnecessary and unexpected stress on your dog?

@godisnotreal6969 I was also surprised, I figured quarantine would be the perfect time to train her outside, but apparently not. It happened three times within a span of 45 minutes.

I really do want to buy her a little vest so that people leave us alone but I just dropped 500 dollars on her vet bills and it will have to wait until I have a source of income again.

@laoshij Just to warn you people might assume your dog is a service dog and still attempt to pet. People ignore service dogs wearing these all the time and still pet them.

@laoshij Where are you training that they’re able to get that close to bend down and pet your dog? If they’re getting that close, definitely stop them before they get in your bubble. Don’t be afraid to advocate for your dog and don’t be afraid of coming off as rude. I’d rather come off as rude than have my dog potentially go after someone and ruin any progress we’ve made.

Also, the “Do Not Pet” vest is definitely a good investment in this situation, just make sure the DNP part is very bright and obvious.

@laoshij We have a “reactive give me space” sign on our dog’s leash. We mostly pull her closer when people are near and they maybe get the message OR dog reacts at them and they definitely stay away (she seems to now pick and choose who she lunges and barks at and not everyone anymore. #progress? 🙂)

@laoshij Unfortunately this is so common. I quickly learned to read the body language of people and can tell you from the second they see my dog if they’re going to try to approach. For myself, even just pulling my dog close to me, slightly behind, tends to give strangers the message their contact is not wanted. Or at minimum, forces them to ask first where I can verbally decline.

I’m not sure if you have a hard time telling people no (I felt bad at first, as someone who loves to pet any dog that wants petting I know how sad it can be to get told no lol), but really you just have to pay attention, notice the signs (eye contact- people always tend to stare for a bit first as if contemplating, moving your way, etc) and make your move to shut it down first. It’s not fair but unfortunately people think they’re entitled to pet others dogs 🤦🏻‍♀️