Tips for a budding breeder

eee27

Hello I’m f/19 and I’m excited and eager to begin my career as a breeder. I’m honestly in the very very early stages. I’ve been spending a lot of time doing research, like looking at other hobbyist breeders and taking in tips from them. I’ve been spending time looking into different breeds and looking at classes on the AKC and ACA website. I will consider myself to be a hobbyist rather than doing for profit. What I’m looking for right now are some tips and personal experiences from other breeders, like,
  1. what were the first steps you took and where are you now?
  2. How old were you when you first started
  3. How long did it take for you to build a steady income of customers ? Do you have a good relationship with all your customers?
  4. What’s something you wish you knew prior to becoming a breeder? Is there anything you would’ve changed ?
And any other tips you would give speaking as a breeder and mentor. I would appreciate and you honestly don’t know how much you’d be helping someone. Thank you.

@eee27
  1. Dad shows dogs so I was born into it.
  2. First show at 6 weeks old. Delivered my first litter when I was 15.
  3. Steady income? Never. Steady customers that we sell to? Decades. We have families coming back now after years of owning one of our dogs.
  4. That they devour the placenta and it’s sounds really crunchy and gross.
Tips are get sleep while you can when you have a litter. Whelping can be a 24 hour affair. Don’t get into it for money. Get into for the continuation of a breed and dogs health.

Back