Tiny kibble, dinner time & Carrots!

theknightlight

I am so annoyed at trying to figure this out. I've even asked people at all major pet supply stores... Which kibble is the smallest? They don't know! My vet only recommends what she sells @ $$$$, of course.
  1. TINY KIBBLE. I've been feeding my mini Shih-Tzu Bil-Jac because it isn't as hard as other brands. 2 problems, 1) she's not terribly fond of it, and 2) I have to put in a zip bag and step on it to make it smaller. She was 1.7# @ 3yrs when we got her (now 7.9#) but she lost some teeth due to malnutrition. I want to find a different brand she actually likes with really tiny kibble. Also have a mini dachshund who will eat anything. I add home cooked organs & meats + carrots and green beans to their dinners but want them to like their kibble enough to eat on its own. Because I give them quality soft food, the kibble doesn't need to be the best of the best. I am on a budget but will spend a bit more to find what works best. The only real health issues are the Shih-Tzu tends to have harder stools. They are both seniors.
  2. DINNER TIME(s). Any thoughts as to best time to give them their main meal(s)?
  3. CARROTS. Oh, and my dachshund thinks raw carrots (thinly sliced) are the best treats in the whole wide world. Any feedback on whether this is good or bad?
Every reply will be most appreciated.

Just an update for anyone interested... I picked up PRO Plus Adult Small Breed (black and purple bag) just to see (especially since Hills was way more $). The kibble is very small 6mm-9mm and 3-4mm thick. They both really like it and do nibble on it throughout the day. Overall, ($ + enthusiasm) I am really pleased with the outcome. Thank you everyone for all the help and advice!

P.S. Broccoli may be something that has to start early in life, because my 2 think I'm crazy!

@theknightlight Cooked organ meats are considered a high value treat. Nothing will trump that, not even the best kibble. So what they're doing is eating that first and ignoring (or half heartedly) eating the kibble. Try weaning them off the organ meats, reducing it until there is only kibble. Use the organ meats (you can dehydrate them in the oven) for training treats to reinforce desired behaviors. As far as kibble, you can try Royal Canin. They have some formulations that are breed specific, or if you're on a budget and you only want to buy one type they'll have something for both.

@jjoseph See, now I'm confused again. You are suggesting trying towards an all kibble diet and I see the sense of it. However, the reply below is suggesting trying an all fresh diet with no kibble.

I kinda prefer the kibble + a little bit of goodies mixed in. I would estimate the dachshund gets 3-4 Tbs of the good stuff throughout the day and the Shih-Tzu, maybe 2Tbs. I'm pretty sure this is just finding a kibble she likes better and comes in really small sizes. I will look at the Royal Canin. Do you know if they have 'actual size' images on bags? Because no one at stores seem to know exactly how small/large pieces are. Most bags don't, so there is no way to compare other than trying to pinch pieces through packaging. It isn't as easy to decipher as one might believe.

Thank you for your reply

@theknightlight Since you are already feeding meat and organs have you considered just feeding raw/cooked food rather than any kibble?

Also, for the raw carrots, generally they're fine for a treat. Raw veggies don't digest well so they probably aren't getting much nutritional value. They're also higher in sugar so moderation is key. But totally fine for an occasional snack. ☺

@theknightlight No kibble is not beneficial to oral health. A better option would be appropriately sized raw bones or air dried/dehydrated chews. Kibble, especially the really small ones, won't offer significant enough contact with the teeth to do any amount of cleaning/scraping of plaque or tartar.

Raw is exactly as it sounds! ☺ It is typically some variation of uncooked meat, bone, and organ. Some include the addition of produce. It can certainly be done diy but most people opt for frozen pre-made to keep it simple. I personally like the brands Small Batch, Steve's Real Food, Northwest Naturals, Darwins, or Maev.

Cooked foods like Just Food For Dogs, Nom Nom Now, and Ollie are similar but are mailed to you directly. Although some are quite high in starches and carbohydrates and it can be pricey.

Dehydrated foods like The Honest Kitchen, Sojos, and Grandma Lucy's are nice as well. You add warm water and it rehydrates.

Honestly, kibble is my least favorite food type for dogs. The closer to whole, unprocessed foods the better. And since your pup doesn't seem to enjoy the kibble anyway I would consider other options.

@theknightlight I am currently feeding my two Pekingese wellness complete small bites. They are small thin triangles. They liked it for a while but I just made a post asking about whether anyone has heard of a recall because they have been not eating it the past few days. I have just opened a new bag. They’ve been eating this brand for about nine months. Before that I fed them supreme source which also has a very small round kibbles which I got from Smith’s which depending on your location if you are in the US, it might be Kroger or Ralph’s. For fun we just say Ralph Kroger Smith’s grocery stores. In any case I also soften the food because my older girl has teeth issues. My vet told me not to feed them so many carrots because it’s a lot of sugar. I was feeding a variety of cooked fresh veggies but stopped when he told me that. Now I feed them their regular food with finely chopped broccoli every now and then because those silly dogs like broccoli! The supreme source is very inexpensive and readily available at the market. The other I pick up at Petco and usually use a coupon to get it cheaper.

@ramona66 Good suggestions! Thank you. Do you cook broccoli or raw?

I am in US but in the middle of nowhere (NE) and there ain't much choice to be had. However, I am familiar with all stores mentioned and can order 'exotic' stuff, from like, Wal-Mart & other fancy stores way over in the big cities. sorry..... I am so totally a Valley Girl -SoCal & after 6 years still in culture shock. An hour to get to the nearest big city of 14,000! Use to be an hour to drive 20 miles to get to airport in L,A.

@theknightlight I’m a Valley Girl too! Burbank! Lately I’ve been giving it to them chopped very finely and raw and they like it. I’ve been giving it to them because of the fact that they’ve been scooting a bit. But they also like it cooked. So either way. I sometimes buy frozen and then take out a few pieces of the time and cook it in boiling water and then let it cool and then chop it up to give to them. The fresh, raw broccoli I just keep in the bag in the fridge raider and it stays good at least a week. Yes traffic in LA was horrendous and only getting worse every time I go back! It sounds like an adventure that you moved to a rural area! Very fun! 💞

Back