Things to consider before adopting a husky?

cindyfernandez

I’m considering adopting 5-year-old husky. He is 6”5 all white, brown eyes and about 60-70 lbs . My boyfriend’s friend is in the military and going active duty, so he is unable to give him adequate attention, which I’ve read is very important with this breed. We have a black lab who I adore and live in a gated community with a small back yard, but there is a lake that I can run around with him daily. We are located in the hot and humid Houston, Texas, which feels a little cruel with his double coat of fur. He already lives in Texas though, so he probably is used to it. I work full-time and am concerned that I may not be able to give him the mental and physical exercise/exertion he needs. While I have cared for other people’s dogs (I.e. my boyfriend’s lab and ex-boyfriend’s doberman), I would be a first time dog owner and am pretty inexperienced. After researching the husky temperament for hours, it seems they can be very challenging. I’m up for a challenge and am certain it would also be rewarding, but would love to hear of some firsthand experiences, trials and tribulations that others have had. Please tell me of your experiences with huskies and things that a new husky owner should consider. Thank you!

@cindyfernandez I don’t have any advice on huskies, but just wanted to say thank you for so deeply considering the dog’s needs and comforts in deciding if it will be the right fit for you & your lifestyle. ❤️

Also r/husky should be able to provide some specific guidance too!

@cindyfernandez I stayed with a family for a few years that has a husky and I was surprised how vocal they are. I would be concerned about their yodeling in a gated community if you have close neighbors and you'll be away for a long time at work.

Also the hair! They require so much brushing. Usually their coats change with the seasons but in a hot climate (we're in Florida) they are constantly "blowing coat" where the underlayer is always falling out. Your home will always be messy and you'll be wearing your dogs fur to work no matter how hard you try lol.

Most of the vet techs I know consider owning a husky in the South to be inhumane because it's not the climate they are designed for. Some dogs can literally die from going on a walk in the summer heat, so you should be hyper vigilant when taking them outside for a run especially in warmer months.
They are pretty high energy so maybe you can find a way to exercise and wear them out in the AC?

Overall, I'd say if you're okay with the noise, hair, and are attentive you'll make a wonderful home for this baby. Just make sure you're conscious of what you're taking on so you can prepare.