The things humans do that stress our dogs

pshafer14

When we love our dogs as a family, we sometimes forget that they don't quite understand us like our human relatives. Sometimes we try to have full conversations with them or we unknowingly send them signals of body language that are interpreted differently in the animal kingdom. For these reasons, we have compiled a list of 9 things that humans do routinely and that stress dogs.

1. Getting frustrated when your dog acts like…a dog!

Dogs bark, dig, chew, sniff and steal table scraps that are within snout range. For them, it's a natural behavior! (Also, they don't understand the value of your favorite pair of shoes.) This does not mean that your dog should have the freedom to do what he wants. Instead of punishing these behaviours, we need to redirect them - and it takes patience! Vet Street suggests alternatives such as giving stuffed Kongs to gnawing at the jaws or teaching barkers to use their "inner voice".

2. Having inconsistent rules and boundaries

Dogs feed on consistency and routine, and feel comfortable there. If your puppy is allowed to stay on the couch for a week and then scolded the following week, he will be stressed when he cannot anticipate your reaction to his behaviour. He won't understand if one night you decide to "let it pass" or if you allow him to break the rules for a "special occasion". When you create limits, stick to them!

3. Expecting your dog to obey you just because they want to make you happy

While our dogs love to see us happy, they are still animals and opportunists (for example, if they see an opportunity to snatch leftover chicken from the counter, they will usually seize it!) Some dogs obey their owner simply to please them, but most of them behave for a simple reason: to receive their reward! Vet Street explains that an inconsistent reward will most likely lead to inconsistent behavior. And you can't be mad at your dog for not obeying if he can't expect to receive a reward in return.

4. Using multiple verbal cues to indicate the same behavior

This habit can be hard to lose! Say your dog barks at the postman, so you say "shut up!" "stop!" and "silence." You gave him three different orders that are supposed to mean the same thing: stop barking! Your dog gets confused so he keeps barking and ends up getting scolded - but he doesn't know why! It's best to find specific words to apply to each turn or order, and make sure that all members of your family are on the same page. If you use the word "down" for "lay down," you may need to use something like "floor" to tell your puppy to get out of bed!

5. Saying “it’s okay” when your dog thinks it’s not

When our dogs are anxious, we want to comfort them. Often saying "it's good" in a soothing tone is our natural human reaction. But according to Healthy Pets (via Mercola), we lead them to think otherwise. If we use the phrase in conjunction with an act they don't like - for example, take them to the vet or try to cut their nails - they learn to associate expression with things that are wrong! If "it's okay" means that something bad is about to happen, it can really stress your dog!

6. Pointing or shaking a finger at them

Healthy Pets explains that this gesture is a “universal stress inducer for dogs.” The article says that it is often accompanied with an angry gesture, a hovering stance, and a stern tone. Your pup may not remember when he did to deserve the “finger point,” but he will know that you’re upset with him, causing anxiety.

and here you can read 8 Ways to Calm Down an Anxious Pet, Especially During Fireworks or on a Trip to the Vet

@pshafer14 #5 is what Im really bad at. We try to counter condition with treats in these instances but maybe i realize i'm saying "it's ok" more for myself than my dog. I'll try to cut that out.

@pshafer14 I remeber dog sitting a shoe chewwer for a week or so.

Day one we went to the second hand store and picked out a pair of tough neon yellow trainers. They where his shoes and he could chew them as much as he wanted.

Whenever he tried to go for ours he was redirected. Eventually he learnt that the distinctive ones were his. Since it was the only yellow shoes in the house.

If your dog likes to chew shoes and isn't ripping bits off to eat or anything dangerous. Just get them a pair of shoes they can call their own.

Edit. My own dog also HATES the finger point. It's the end of his little world. We use it only in extreme circumstances when he has wilfully disbayed commands he knew and noticed and that lead to a dangerous or uncomfortable situation. It's used less than once a year if that. It does mean nobody is allowed to point in the house. You have to finger gun or princess wave towards things. It throws guests off a bit.