Territorial Dog Peeing

marymadeleine

Question about dog peeing behavior.

I have an approximately 7 y/o mixed breed my husband and I adopted 9 months ago.
He is a very mild tempered, HIGHLY treat motivated, snuggle bug/couch potato.
The only interesting behavior I have seen in him is that when he pees, he pees to mark and not to relieve his bladder. And I think that may be attributed to his entire life as a stray and being neutered at 7 y/o. He has never ONCE peed in the house, he take him on 30-45 min walks 4 times a day to prevent that.

Now please don’t kick me, but I am a cat person through and through. And I have been BEGGING to get a cat, but my husband is not so sure due to his possible marking behaviors.

I want to know your thoughts or knowledge on if he would attempt to mark the cat litter box as his. Thanks for any insight!!

@marymadeleine My male dog was neutered at 8 months and only likes to pee to mark. It is a normal male behavior. This will not result in him marking inside, I had lots of cats and he only ever wanted to eat the cat turds not mark.

As with introducing any new animal do it gradually and make the experiences positive for both. My cats hated dogs for the first year and after that ignored them or tolerated them. Just know not every cat or every dog will get along. Prey drive in certain dogs is too high to have cats so be mindful of your dog has a high prey drive.

Back