Terrified Corgi on Prozac

chuckc249

Our adorbale little corgi is absolutely terrified of so many sounds. Some of which scare her so much she will run back home without stopping and has even got out of her harness before and sprinted home. We have had her on prozac for about 4 weeks now and things only seem to be getting worse. I know that it can take up to 8 weeks to reach full potential, and it worsen the problem before it improves, but right now I could really use some encouragment that she could still get better. She won't even go for a walk the last 3 days. I am just so sad for her. Please tell me it can get better?

P.S. We are also working on noise desensitization training

@chuckc249 Increased anxiety during the loading phase is unfortunately a common side effect. My dog gets it pretty bad as well, for her it lasts 4.5 weeks. So hopefully, your dog should get better very soon, assuming you have been on the same dosage for all of these for 4 weeks (Yeah, unfortunately the side effects start over with each dosage increase!)

If it’s been the same dosage this whole time and your dog doesn’t get better within a week, I’d check with your vet, then Prozac might not be the right fit for your dog.

@mlprice Thanks. Should I only give it 4 weeks before trying new meds or a new dose? A number of people said give it 8 weeks before making that decision unless you notice really bad side effects.

@chuckc249 Yes, for the positive effects to kick in, it can take 8 to 12 weeks, so ideally you wait that long.

Exception if the side effects are bad and last longer than 5 weeks (counting while one same dosage), or if your vet started you out with a very small dose where it can be pretty much expected that your dog will need an increase.

@chuckc249 Typical dosage is 0.5 to 0.9 mg per pound of body weight, so for your dog 15 to 27 mg. In other words, your dog is currently on the lowest therapeutic dosage, and there’s still room to go up if you don’t see results at this level.

@mlprice Thanks. Should we wait till the 8 week mark before we increase dose or should we just ask for an increase now? We wouldn't change dose without consulting a vet, of course, just curious what your thoughts are.

@chuckc249 Given that your dog does not even seem to have gotten over the side effects yet, I would wait before piling on more. See if she at least goes back to being “normal”, whatever her baseline is, so you know that the medication is ok for your dog.

Then, once your dog is back to her usual self, I would give it a week or two to see if she improves from there and then discuss with your vet if they are ready for an increase.

We see a very experienced Veterinary behaviorist, and she is a waste no time person who does recommend increases before 8 weeks if appropriate, so I guess from her experience if there is absolutely no improvement by 6 or 7 weeks, there is no point in waiting around.

On the other hand, regular vets are not always very comfortable with behavior meds and might have a more conservative approach, so it’s something to discuss with yours.

@mlprice Thanks. I don't even know where to find a vet behaviorist in my area, and the ones we've seen online are really expensive. We want to do everything we can for her but we also aren't rich sadly. Thanks for all of the information.

@chuckc249 Yeah, VBs are not cheap, and while there are several advantages in seeing a VB, Prozac is usually the first med to be tested either way, so hopefully it is going to be a good fit for your dog and you will get the results you are looking for.

If it doesn’t work, then you might run out of options with a regular vet, as they typically are not as comfortable with the less common behavior meds. But hopefully you won’t run into that issue!

My dog’s issue is also noise anxiety.

Here are a few other things I learned from our VB:

- during vet visits, have them check for any potential pain sources, as pain can increase anxiety. This applies even more to older dogs that have more sources of chronic pain, like dental, joints, etc.

-work on calming protocol (advanced mat work) to teach relaxation on command

-feed all meals in enrichment form for confidence building (this has been my absolute favorite thing we picked up)

-while waiting for the medication and behavior modification to kick in, try to manage stress, for example providing a quiet, cozy closet, white noise, pheromones, avoiding unnecessary exposure, etc.

The more you allow stress to build up, the worse the reaction.

-teaching hand targeting (we also use high five) with lots of treats, so that if your dog hears a concerning noise, you can engage your dog and they can find comfort in the familiar task and reward. So, every time I go outside, I carry a cup of boiled meat bits, and when she hears something scary, she now looks to me, and I start stuffing her with meat, excitedly asking her for hand touches and high fives. This has helped her so much with recovery. She used to completely shut down or even throw herself on the ground, oftentimes I had to carry her home and she is really too heavy for me for that. With the meat and simple tasks, she now often recovers enough to continue and enjoy her walk, or at the very least walk back home (My back is very thankful for that!)

@mlprice Thank you so much! This is all very helpful advice. I really hope we can make some progress with our dog. She is so sweet and I hate seeing her so terrified.

Back