Teething puppy help.. please

jesusrwaldron

My puppy won’t stop biting e v e r y t h i n g. He’s a 12 week old German Shepard mix. Are there any amazing toys or bones that he will rather chew than my legs and hands?? Any suggestions are welcome!!!

@jesusrwaldron He's probably not actually teething yet, but just being super mouthy. GSDs are prone to that. I tried a ton of chews and the benebone that I can't find anywhere was a popular non-edible one. He's enjoyed bully sticks (although I'm still seeing if they are going to eventually agree with his tummy and had to get a holder cos he tried to swallow all six inches) and yak chews (sadly those break on the tile though so those are an office only treat). I've had good luck with frozen carrots, ice cubes, and rope toys. Split elk antler had a good go for a while too. Pretty much anything not your hand that you put in their mouth is a good redirect if it's a toy.

The mouthy biting isn't going to stop until he knows that's not what he should do though. He's probably trying to initiate play, so the best I found was to just stop engaging with him AT ALL when he bites me. It took a while and patience, but I'd do the reverse time out thing where I'd leave him and go out of sight for at least 30 seconds (or if not possible, turn around and cross my arms, being as unfun as possible) and then come back and try again. Usually I'd have to repeat this a few times, because he's a stubborn butt. It has made a huge difference and sometimes he still gets a little mouthy but for the most part he's improved a lot.

What's also helped is spending time with my parent's 3yr old GSD who worked on his bite inhibition (which means he doesn't bite as HARD now, which thank god). It's really difficult as a human to convey, no don't bite me so hard. And honestly that yelping thing didn't do jack shit for me and he just licked the apple spray off, so your mileage may vary.

@jesusrwaldron Choose a cue word ("enough" or "game over" for example). Whenever he bites, say the cue word in a normal tone of voice and walk out of reach for a minute (longer is sometimes needed depending on the pup)- it's important that you leave rather than you moving him. Make it impossible for him to follow you- close a door, step up on something tall, keep him in a pen and step out of it, etc. Give tons of praise and treats whenever you see him chewing things that are approved chews (and make sure he has access to lots of these).

It won't be an instant fix but you'll see a noticeable decrease in several weeks if you do this consistently.

Also make sure he's getting enough sleep- overtired puppies are extra bitey.

Chews and toys that dogs like vary a lot from dog to dog. I'd just try getting an assortment to start to see what he likes.