songofallsongs

Breed questionnare!

I grew up with a blue heeler, red heeler, and black lab!
Considering another ACD, GSP, or Vizla?

1) Will this be your first dog? If not, what experience do you have owning/training dogs?

✨I grew up with two heelers, I was young - but they were truly the best

2) Do you have a preference for rescuing a dog vs. going through a reputable breeder?

✨I would prefer a breeder at this time - unless I could find a rescue puppy (1yr old) which is unlikely, or I guess someone selling their dog online. Just so it can be trained well

3) Describe your ideal dog.

✨Medium sized dog. Obedient. Smart. One I can take on lots of hikes / backpacking trips / play with. Chill sometimes but also can hike far! My boyfriend can’t always go with me hiking so one that’s also protective :)

4) What breeds or types of dogs are you interested in and why?

✨Growing up with working breeds, they just have a special place in my heart. We are currently saving for land + getting animals (couple years out) but would like a dog also to be a farm dog! So buy within the year - train it VERY well - awesome farm dog :)

5) What sorts of things would you like to train your dog to do?

✨Good at heel. Bulletproof recall. Able to walk alongside, no leash. Able to call away even if being reactive or another dog is causing problems

6) Do you want to compete with your dog in a sport (e.g. agility, obedience, rally) or use your dog for a form of work (e.g. hunting, herding, livestock guarding)? If so, how much experience do you have with this work/sport?

✨Down the line, yes. For livestock. I doubt we’ll get more than a handful of sheep but more so a farm dog. Works outside, protects the yard, kids maybe.

Care Commitments

7) How long do you want to devote to training, playing with, or otherwise interacting with your dog each day?

✨45min up to 3 hours daily. Probably mental stimulation 3x a week, and physical exercise 2-3x a week, rest day

8) How long can you exercise your dog each day, on average? What sorts of exercise are you planning to give your dog regularly and does that include using a dog park?

✨Realistically 45 min at the very minimum per day. Running / hiking / mental games

9) How much regular brushing are you willing to do? Are you open to trimming hair, cleaning ears, or doing other grooming at home? If not, would you be willing to pay a professional to do it regularly?

✨couple times a week. Shedding isn’t a huge deal but I don’t want a super long haired dog! OK to trim hair. OK to trim nails. Would take to pro for ears

Personal Preferences

10) What size dog are you looking for?

✨medium 30-60lbs

11) How much shedding, barking, and slobber can you handle?

✨OK on shedding as long as it’s not absolutely crazy haha barking okay but that can just be trained. Low slobber :p

12) How important is being able to let your dog off-leash in an unfenced area?

✨very

Dog Personality and Behavior

13) Do you want a snuggly dog or one that prefers some personal space?

✨both.

14) Would you prefer a dog that wants to do its own thing or one that’s more eager-to-please?

✨both haha

15) How would you prefer your dog to respond to someone knocking on the door or entering your yard? How would you prefer your dog to greet strangers or visitors?

✨protective but not reactive :)

16) Are you willing to manage a dog that is aggressive to other dogs?

✨yes, to train it to be better

17) Are there any other behaviors you can’t deal with or want to avoid?

✨none that I can think of

Lifestyle

18) How often and how long will the dog be left alone?

✨Hopefully 4 hrs or less. No more than that without being checked on

19) What are the dog-related preferences of other people in the house and what will be their involvement in caring for the dog?

✨my partner, equal!

20) Do you have other pets or are you planning on having other pets? What breed or type of animal are they?

✨no

21) Will the dog be interacting with children regularly?

✨nope. But I want it to be great w kids to avoid a lawsuit lmao

22) Do you rent or plan to rent in the future? If applicable, what breed or weight restrictions are on your current lease?

✨no current restrictions. Currently renting

23) What city or country do you live in and are you aware of any laws banning certain breeds?

✨Prefer not to say. No banned breeds.

24) What is the average temperature of a typical summer and winter day where you live?

✨Summer like 95-106 f winter 20-0° f

Additional Information and Questions

25) Please provide any additional information you feel may be relevant.

✨none

26) Feel free to ask any questions below.

✨Please be nice lol

@songofallsongs Ok excellent, have you considered a smooth collie? They've got the solid working background and can thrive in farm life and home life better than some of the more intense working breeds like ACDs. I think GSPs and Vizlas are more geared to other types of work/activity than you're looking for

@songofallsongs Interesting breed you could look into would be a german pinscher. A versatile breed and has origins in being ratters and guard dogs on farms. Not to big but not to small they are usually 30 to 45lbs, athletic, and independent.

@songofallsongs The first breed that comes to mind for me is a working line German Shepherd. It has the trainability and can do everything you wish - be protective, hike, be a farm dog (it’s what they were bred for originally after all). But it is quite a bit bigger than you want.

You also have the Belgian Malinois and the Dutch Shepherd, but they might be a bit too crazy. I would be careful with getting one of those as your first personal dog.

You have the border collie and Australian shepherd, both super smart and trainable and more in your desired size range, but not so protective.

There’s also something like the Staffordshire Bull Terrier (or similar). Smart, energetic, protective, trainable, more medium sized. But I don’t think they would make a great farm dog as terriers have a very high prey drive.

I honestly think the German Shepherd might be the one for you, even if it’s bigger than you would want. It’s the one breed I can think of that has everything you want.

@songofallsongs Border Collie, cattle dog, Australia shepherd and their relatives would be a good fit. Visit some breeders and find out which breed you want. I also think a young dog from your local shelter would work. Even if it would be a pittbull, staff whatever mix, I believe they would be a good fit (but don't expect them to heard sheep).

Back