Suggestions on Glucosamine/Omega 3s for Older Dog

pinkwings

Hi everyone!
We recently adopted an older 8yo Golden Retriever who had puppies last summer and struggles to regain muscle/still has a bit of weight to lose. I am walking her 30mins a day plus a 15 min fetch session to help her become more fit. How can I support her joints during this? She is on TLC Dog food which has salmon oil (0.25% min) and some glucosamine (500ppm) and chondroitin (200ppm) in it. I’m looking into liquid based supplements like salmon oil or joint health oil (glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM and hyaluronic acid). People with senior dogs, what products/supplements or food do you use to support their joint health?

@pinkwings If I had your dog, I would feed her Hill's Science Diet Active Longevity and supplement with Pet Honesty Hip + Joint Health Max Strength. Your dog probably needs something higher as far as the Glucosamine and Chondroitin that's in her food. I think parts per million (ppm) is like pretty much nothing. A higher protein diet, with low calories would be ideal, I think. Omega 3's and 6's are good too. My dog is 16 years old, but due to her having degenerative myelopathy and elevated liver enzymes, I have to feed her a low protein diet and give her SAMe/Sylibin (or SAMe and milk thistle extract, however you prefer to describe it). I'm struggling over here. She's been in palliative care with me for almost a year, and it's getting harder each day. Disclosure: I'm not an expert. Always check with your Veterinarian and make sure your dog has bloodwork done in case there's something you need to be mindful of. I'm just a pet owner that will do anything I can to help my baby! Hope this helps.

Edit: I forgot to mention curcumin (turmeric extract). It's said to have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Antioxidants can be beneficial to both us and our pets! Highly suggest! I also think that using a probiotic with prebiotics are helpful for digestion, and to make sure the body absorbs the nutrients being fed, even if there are no potty issues.

If you buy supplements, do your research. Make sure they are third-party tested or have a NASC seal or something similar. When I was looking to find a Lion's Mane extract, I came across an article from a lab that ordered 4 random "Lion's Mane" supplements from one of those platforms we all probably use (starts with an A...) and after testing them they reported that 2 out of the 4 products had 0% Lion's Mane.

@pinkwings I would immediately get off of that food and discuss a joint support diet with your vet. TLC is a pyramid scheme diet with no appropriate expertise or research backing it

Back