Stud Fee

chebles

Unsure of a fair stud fee.
Within the next year and a half or so I’m looking into breeding my American Hairless Terrier. He will be fully health tested, including:

Cardiac

Patella

Bile Acid

Hips

LCP

Elbow

BAER

PLL

Spinal X-Rays.

He will have his AKC championship and some back end titles before he is bred. He is already pointed, with 5 points and a major left.

This is the least of my concerns, I’m not even 100% on breeding him yet. Just something minor to think about while I wait for the opportunity to get his tests done.

@chebles It really depends on the price of the puppies he'd produce. I think usually, the agreed upon price is that you get one puppy of your choice from the litter, or that you get the price of one puppy because the owner of the dam is the one who has to tend to her and any veterinary needs she has throughout pregnancy and whelping, along with taking care of the puppies and getting their health care until they are purchased. The costs really fall on the person who has the dam, so a stud fee should be only a small portion of what they'd be making back.

@vee You should also consider if you adjust the stud fee for a small litter. There’s no right answer here, but let’s say there’s only a single puppy. Do you as the stud owner get the puppy or the price of one puppy and the owner of the bitch gets nothing? Again, no single right answer, but I know some breeders will have some conditions like the litter being at least two puppies that survive the first 48 hrs in order to pay the stud fee. Or the breeder gets a repeat breeding if the first one is unsuccessful. You can get some ideas here, but talk to other breeders in your breed as well and find out what’s typical for your breed in your geographical area. And get everything in writing. Even honest, well intentioned people can forget, or make assumptions you weren’t aware of.

@liamg Absolutely. This really is a case by case situation. I've been talking to the breeder I got my Japanese Chin boy from about him possibly studding for a bitch of her choosing in the future when he's grown, and in return I may get a pup or a small payment, but it would depend on a lot of different factors, like how much she was able to sell the pups for, the expenses she'd have, and of course how many are in the litter.

@chebles I don’t understand the people who trade pick of the litter for stud fee. If I’m breeding my female, it’s because I am hoping for a keeper pup for myself. Why on earth would I give my prime pick up?

I would much prefer to pay a cash fee up front and be done.

@kurat Pick of the litter can be different for each person and sometimes the overall pick just wouldn't fit into your lifestyle well. And you can't keep every puppy.

If you prefer a cash fee, that's fine. You would just have to find a stud owner who is willing to accept that.

@chebles Breed culture varies from breed to breed as far as stud fee price, so you may want to ask your dog's breeder what is typical for this breed. In the breed that I have, the price of a puppy is typical-- that is pretty standard for breeds that don't have whelping issues or tiny litters. Some toy breeds seem to charge less due to the number of puppies produced being typically less. I can send you my contract if you need it in the future.

@chebles I have no input on stud fee(sorry!), but i’d like to humbly request photo tax of your pup! I love AHTs ❤️

And good on you for doing the work of genetic testing and titling! We love to see it.

@chebles He’s gorgeous! I would maybe reach out to his breeder and see what they think for a stud fee? Or just ask around to some other AHT Kennels that you like. Idk exactly the politicking of that, but that’s what I would do :)

Back