Stud dog first time

aaron112

Hi guys, we are planning on using our male dog as a stud for the first time and I was wondering if someone could give me a bit of advice/guidance on the process I.e which health checks etc should we get before putting him to stud

Thanks!

@kurat One step further- I would cross reference the recommended tested with that recommended by your national breed club. Often times the breed club will recommend more beyond what’s posted on OFA.

@aaron112 OP, it looks like you’re in the UK so the suggestions for looking at OFA etc. aren’t terribly relevant to you. Check out the guidance from The Kennel Club to get started about genetic health screenings pre-breeding.

Do you shoot with your dog? Or do you do high levels of competitive sport, such as agility or fly ball, with him? What does his breeder think about you breeding him? I have a male performance prospect spaniel puppy, and I signed a contract with his breeder around breeding and semen collection that outlines certain milestones that need to happen before he can be bred - your breeder may want to discuss this with you first before you get too far down the line.

@aaron112 does he hunt? Or do serious dog sports?

You can offer a dog up for stud, but unless he's something special, the only people who will want to use him are bitch owners who were turned down by owners of those special dogs.

If I had working Cockers, I'd look for a stud dog who is hunted each season and/or who competes in tests and trials. I wouldn't look at a pet dog.

And I'd want the stud dog to have all the health testing that the Cocker club says they should have.

I'd also want a recent, negative Brucellosis test.

@davecb Yeah, no way I would breed without all the genetic testing. Especially considering all the hereditary degenerative neurological conditions cockers can get; just horrible diseases. So many horror stories of cockers suddenly getting so aggressive later in life that they need to be euthanized. The poor dog basically develops dementia and starts lashing out in fear (they no longer recognize their owners, fear harm from humans despite no history of abuse, intensely resource guard despite no history or neglect, etc.).

I can only imagine how heartbreaking it is for the owner to have their healthy 4 year old dog, that they love to pieces, suddenly turn on them. And then knowing that it's not their fault or the dog's fault, it's due to a degenerative neurological condition and they have to be euthanized because they're gonna have no quality of life otherwise (even if they're comfortable for now, you have to keep them crated or muzzled 24/7 because it begins with episodes that are like flipping a light switch; your dog can no longer be trusted not to randomly maul someone).

@aaron112 In addition to the tests for the specific breed at the OFA and/or parent breed club I would also have the sperm motility checked to make sure it is even worth trying.

Back