Stud dog behavior

jwilliams26

Please if anyone here can advise:
I bought a two- year old male unneutered Pomeranian from a Hobby breeder (NOT a puppy mill.) My main goal was a companion for my female Chi-Papillon. I did originally think of puppies— not as income but keep or give one to family before getting them fixed. However, I decided against this bc my Pap is only 4.5 lbs, just too small to safely have a litter without trauma/C-section. So I planned to get both or at least him fixed. I have been keeping her at a friend’s house to separate them. But when he did meet her he was constantly trying to mate— relentlessly. My question is if I get him fixed, will this really stop this behavior or will he continue to try to do this even after the natural drive is gone because he was raised as a stud dog the first two years of his life? Please advise if possible. Thank you very much.

@jwilliams26 By mate I assume you mean humping? Dogs hump for a variety of reasons. Was she in heat? If yes, seems like normal behavior that may stop when the female is not in heat or fixed.

If no, then it could be excitement, stress, etc. More of a training issue than a medical one.

Have you spoken to the breeder about how the dog was like in their household? Did he live with other female dogs before?

@kowon Yes. She had the boys separated from girls. They did not have that many but she kept them separate parts of her house. Wouldn’t it be more likely for him to stop if he were fixed than she? Or both necessary or would he still continue… I just don’t know how one would train him to stop the behavior as it was very out of control…

I honestly do not know if she was in heat. She was staying at my ex-husband’s house and he said she just had her menses— unless he was mistaken and it was discharge. Ty for your advice.

Back