starting to show resource guarding

skikid52

I have a large breed mix, X, who is about 5. Last year, we adopted a dog, Y, who was also about 5. Long story short, shelter lied to us and Y had severe resource aggression and for our and X's safety, we put Y down. We have reached a point we feel ready to try again and adopted Y, about 6 months old, about a month ago.

Since Y, X has been cautious with toys and other dogs (fearful, won't walk past if other dog has a toy). We have seen improvement since adopting Z that X is now comfortable playing with Z while either is holding a toy (not ready for tug but it's a HUGE improvement). X has historically been good about vocalizing his displeasure (we call them sassy, a very vocal breed too) however, lately were worried it's becoming excessive. X will use their words/yell at Z when they're boundaries are being pushed (grumbling) but will escalate to growling (no biting) if Z is going for a toy X has or X wants.

It hasn't gotten to the point of attacking, X has never attacked, but I don't want X's trauma to impact the relationship between X and Z. X will "yell" with growls at Z and chase them away. Z responds well to the vocal warnings but I don't want this to escalate and become an issue.

Any suggestions? I think it is all fear based from trauma and a bit adjusting to having to share toys.

Back