Start running with dog

blackdolphin

I planned to start running with my dog. She is one year now and weighs around 44lb. She’s an Australian Cattle Dog/Pit/Husky/GSD, so very energetic and athletic, I would say born to run. The vet gave us advice to start sports like agility and running when she is over 1 year. Over the day we both do in total about 5-8 miles of walks easily depending on the weather. Sometimes more.
I tried to figure out what is the best way to start training. What is your experience and recommended duration for the first steps? How many breaks should I give my dog during the run and with how many miles do you start? As I’m also kind of a beginner in running and do maximum 5k so I thought about just taking her with me on my next run and see how she will do but I guess she would be ok with that? TIA!

UPDATE: Just came back from a 1.5 miles run and she was an angel. I stopped after half a mile for potty and did some short stop and sit breaks and rewarded her for being focused. After a mile she started to be less focused so I let her sniff around for a few minutes and headed back home on the last 0.5 miles. She didn’t show any signs of being exhausted, to be honest she wasn’t panting at all. She started to be a little clown (weird smiling at me, jumping like a bunny and snapping at branches and grass) on our way back and she usually does that when she is getting tired and it’s getting difficult for her to focus. So I think I chose the perfect distance for our first run together.

@blackdolphin I've got a very athletic dog who [I think] might keel over dead fetching if I don't stop it, particularly in my hot summers. Vet told me to keep an eye on the tongue. More than whether it's sticking out to the side, I am to look for "cupping" at the end - the sides will be spread so wide that they curl up. Apparently that indicates that dog is doing the equivalent of sweating buckets. So, I stop and check on mine every 5 - 10 minutes, depending on weather. But she is usually sprinting full speed when fetching.

@pkarutz My dog will chase balls until her little heart explodes. That curled tongue is always my indicator that it’s time to end the fun, which always results in heavy, dramatic sighs and a very sad dog.

@blackdolphin I started with light jogging and switching directions often and having the dog be rewarded for staying close. Along with what the other comment here says, watch the tongue but also have the dog prepared for quick stops and starts and turning different directions with you. My girl was so good by the time we started because I gave her directions that she was already aware of - I also lived in the city so if we had to dive out of the way of someone it helped having her know that’s what was going on

Back