SOS the worlds pickiest dog

word_cuts_deep

My dogs dietary preferences will be the end of me. She won’t eat anything and just as she starts to like something stops. She’ll go on hunger strikes for a week at a time not touching her food.

I’ve tried three different kinds of kibble, canned food, fresh homemade food, nothing works. I took her to the vet yesterday because I don’t know what to do anymore. The vet sent us home with one can of Purina Proplan veterinary diet Gastroenteric can, but only one can. She gobbled it up. I asked for a prescription for it, but obviously this isn’t going to work long term (or at least I don’t think it will I’m not sure how long she can be on a prescription diet). I asked her vet for a longer prescription while I transition her to something similar. She recommended purina proplan sensitive skin and stomach. I popped the can open and added some to the gastroenteric mix and she completely avoided it. I don’t know what to do anymore. Please help.

@word_cuts_deep I’d stick with Purina, it’s WSAVA compliant. Put her food in a bowl, set it down for 10-15 minutes, and if she doesn’t eat it pick it back up and don’t offer any food until her next mealtime. Her pickiness is being reinforced when you switch her food or add fresh food and toppers. A healthy dog is not going to starve themselves to death, nor will she starve to death in a week. I know the frustration of having a dog who doesn’t always like to eat, you just have to out stubborn her!

@word_cuts_deep Have you tried riding out the stubbornness even when you feel like you're back at square one? It really should take longer and longer to end up back at square one once your dog realizes their hunger strike isn't working.

This is super common with some breeds. My pup is only a tiny bit husky but somehow inherited all of those food diva tendencies (I was thinking something was medically wrong with her until I realized half the husky parents on Reddit have this problem). Now, if she decides to go on food strike, she just gets no food until she agrees to eat her dang kibble. After a few rounds of this, she now reliably eats her kibble (which she actually really loves, contrary to how this comment sounds - she just loves treats more and thought she'd found a way to get Moar Treats) unless she's legitimately not hungry.

@linhmaiha I didn’t know that about huskies! Mine is only 10% husky but we are experiencing the exact same thing as OP. How long did your dog’s hunger strikes last? We are currently going to 2.5 weeks. She will eat like 1/2 cup of kibble after her evening walk but nothing else and no more than a few bites. It really worries me but our vet said to just ride it out.

@the_morrighan With this current food that she genuinely likes, the longest any particular strike has lasted is about 3-4 days in a row of her only eating one meal (0.75 cups). If she skips dinner she will usually sit pretty for and then annihilate her breakfast.

Her worst strikey behavior was with a kibble that she didn't like. The first week or so was okay but she never seemed enthused, and then all hell broke loose. She was doing great on it health wise and had great poops, but getting her to eat was a full time job and she would chew every piece ultra slowly with this baleful stare like "why are you torturing me??" We just donated the rest of the bag to a rescue after a month.

I know someone whose dog will only eat once a day at like 8 pm. Super active herding breed but just wants to hunger strike until the very end of the day 🥴

@word_cuts_deep When she stops eating again, don’t switch her food, pick the bowl up after 10 minutes, and don’t offer any treats or other food until the next mealtime. You just have to keep doing it. She’s testing you because she knows in the past she’s won and you’ve switched foods or added toppers or human food.

@cd8 Part of the reason it fails is because I’m not the only person at home. I’m dealing with a stubborn dog and noncooperative humans. I just don’t think this is a viable option for be given the current dynamic at home.

@word_cuts_deep This. This is 100% of your problem, other humans giving in. You're reinforcing her stubbornness. Most patients I see in practice whose owners tell me they "aren't eating" are obese. Because they are, in fact eating, just not the dog food that they want them to eat. Instead the owners are giving steak and caviar to the dog and then freaking out that they are not eating the dog food.

Not saying this is your situation, but one that we see commonly.

@word_cuts_deep Yeah that sounds difficult, I’m sorry. Would you be able to free feed her? Just leave a bowl of food, no toppers or mix ins, out 24/7? I still wouldn’t change brands though. Free feeding worked for my guy until I got a second dog and had to transition him to a 3 meal a day schedule.

@word_cuts_deep Somebody at home is sneaking her food. Take all of them to the vet when you go so the vet can tell them what's up. The guilty party will either get mad or look away etc. Bring me the dog and I will get him eating. No problem.

@word_cuts_deep It's time for tough love. When she protests again you just keep going. She knows if she waits it out there will be more and different things coming. So you stop offering new things. Keep going with the timing and the selection you have and you don't waiver. When she does the behavior again you don't change your tactics.

@word_cuts_deep My Cavalier is picky as hell and hates everything the only thing that’s worked so far is pro plan chicken and rice with shreds- weight management small breed kibble(he’s not fat but he likes it). Soaked in water first then Royal Canin Beauty canned food he won’t touch anything else canned wise. He also prefers to eat off a plate 🙄

@word_cuts_deep A healthy dog will not starve themselves. If nothing is physically wrong with your dog, you have to be just as stubborn as they are! Not eating for a week will not have your dog, even if it makes you feel guilty. You have to keep up with a strict feeding schedule and remove all treats/toppers. Your dog will learn to eat what’s offered instead of getting you to constantly switch foods.

Back