!! SOS !! potty training 4yo Italian Greyhound w/ broken leg that’s been rehomed

mkumah

I recently became the full-time caregiver of my family dog, Frankie- he now lives with me & my boyfriend in a ground floor apartment. Unfortunately, I found out that my parents weren’t looking after him too well and Frankie has gotten very used to pooping inside his crate and/or in his bed when left home alone and overnight. What makes it even harder is that he was attacked and now his right front leg is broken and is in a cast. It’s been almost 4 weeks and he pees on leash okay-ish? It takes awhile and sometimes multiple attempts but he will eventually do it, but he WILL NOT poop. He’s pooped outside ONCE in almost a month and has had countless accidents within his rest area.

He’s taken outside multiple times a day- 2 or 3 times (until he goes) in the morning when he wakes up/before I leave for work & and the same goes for in the evening/before bed. He eats between breakfast between 9-10am and dinner anywhere between 5-8 depending on my work schedule. Even with having this routine, he doesn’t show signs that he needs to use the bathroom.

While we’re not home and for bedtime we have him set up in a sort of playpen area because it was difficult for him to move/lay comfortably in his crate with his cast and cone at first. No matter where we put him he is extremely restless once awake, ends up stepping in his mess, and whines for hours before he gets comfortable again. I would love to get Frankie back in his crate since that is what he’s been used to all his life, but for the past year that is where my parents would allow him to poop…

While I do have the advantage of creating my own work schedule, I can’t be home 24/7 and unfortunately can’t afford a walker/sitter.

I would really appreciate any tips! I want to make Frank as comfortable as possible while he’s healing and stop this unhealthy (stinky) habit.

Edit: Frankie house trained easily as a puppy and is definitely an “outside boy”. My family had a fenced in yard which allowed him to sniff and roam for a good spot and knows the command “go potty”. He has always had problems using the bathroom on a leash, even when taking him on walks he would wait until back at the house to go potty in the backyard. Now that he’s at my apartment and in this cast it’s like we’re starting his training from scratch.

@mkumah Not a perfect solution but could you put a crate with pee pads in the playpen area? Maybe he will poop in the crate and come out and not make a mess? After he is better - you can use a specific word like “go potty” to train him. When he goes poops outside treat him to high heaven. Hopefully he will get the picture.

@mkumah You are starting from scratch, and you should treat him as such. To be blunt, your parents abused him. Frankie thinks that pooping within sight of a human is dangerous, so he’s waiting until you’re out of sight to go. It’s going to be a long road to recovery. Lots and lots of treats and praise. Be very gentle with him. Only use positive reinforcement.

Please make sure he has adequate pain medication for his injury. He needs real pain meds (not just something to keep him quiet!) if he doesn’t already have them.

There are also a bunch of welfare issues right now, including being left too long in the middle of the day before being taken out. Look into the books Wag, The Culture Clash, and When Pigs Fly for some tips on training, plus how to keep him happy and healthy. He definitely needs mental stimulation. Please don’t crate for 8+ hours of the day, even when he’s healed. I realize you said you can’t afford a dog walker, but you’re going to have to get creative. Trade with a neighbor, something.

I recommend a few sessions with a trainer. There’s a lot going on here and you need support.

@mkumah What I would say is that I dont think this situation is as straight forward as it seems and I'd hold off on assessing where the dog is at behavior wise until the injury is healed. Additionally I think attempts at training while the dog is injured are going to be quite difficult beyond anything very basic. My advice, gradually increase exercise with the goal of finding the exercise that gets the dog to poop. At a certain point this issue is going to override behavior and become mechanical as exercise is going to be the biggest drive in how quickly stool moves through the gi tract. This has the added benefit of allowing the dog time to play and become comfortable in an environment which I highly suspect is the real issue at hand here.

@mkumah You said that it eliminated once outside, do that's the very first sign that the dig can under the right conditions. You have a dig that has been injured and abused. Wait until the injuries are healed and keep up your routine. Give it plenty of time outside without any pressure and just be very relaxed when the dog eliminates, reward it immediately after finished. It takes time for dogs to adapt to new households at least 3-4 weeks and a dig with a bad past and injuries as well will need even longer. Keep up showing your dig it has options and can rely on a daily schedule with opportunities.

Back