situational meds for thunder & fireworks?

asker

Our 25 lb reactive rescue is terrified of thunder and fireworks. First week of July, here in the northeast U.S., was pretty rough each day/night with both of these going on. A couple of years ago, a couple of hours before the July 4 fireworks began, we tried to give her a prescription sedative (Sileo), a gel which is supposed to be inserted between her gums and her cheek. She resisted that mightily, and therefore it didn't work. She does have a thunder shirt, which we put on her -- hard to tell if it makes a difference because she still trembles and tries to hide. Can any of you offer what works for your pup situationally? Not just meds, but, e.g., sound-deadening earmuffs (from Amazon or Chewy.com?)

@asker Our close to 10 year old Shar-Pei mix we rescued about 8 years ago is afraid of fireworks as well as other noises like the low battery beep from a smoke alarm for example. We tried a thundershirt too, and that didn't help in the slightest.

Talking to our vet soon after getting her and discovering some of her triggers he suggested a subscription of Trazadone as needed for known events like the 4th of July. In our case this seems to work, but we need to give it to her early enough before an event starts, or she is a mess for awhile. So far every year we have been doing this seems to have worked for her, but again we need to remember to give it to her early before things kick off around us.

Another suggestion is to find the quietest room in the house and put on some background noise like a TV. If it is just loud enough to mask the fireworks going off it usually works even without medication. We have people that think it's fun to light them off randomly throughout the year, and while we may notice it, the TV drowns it out enough for her not to notice most of the time thankfully.

@asker Approximately two to three hours beforehand. I should have also clarified that she still is not fond of the fireworks, but she is a lot calmer after she has gotten her medication. She will scratch at things, shake, whine, and pace a lot before the medication kicks in. Once it has kicked in, all of those behaviors are gone, but she is kinda clingy while it is going on, which is understandable.

@asker I debated trying Sileo for my reactive boy this year but opted with my vet recommended trazodone and gabapentin together. Trazodone by itself doesn’t help my dog, but together the meds did a great job. He was so sleepy on the 4th that he slept through all the fireworks until our normal bedtime time. It was SHOCKING - I actually filmed him snoozing while the big booms were going all around. Definitely a fan of the dual meds!!

@asker I would try doing some cooperative care training so that you can give Sileo a solid shot. Look into the book Cooperative Care: Seven Steps to Stress-Free Husbandry by Deb Jones

The reason I wouldn't give up on Sileo yet is that yes, there are other medication options, but Sileo works faster. You can't always predict when thunderstorms will start, but with Sileo it can start working in 30 mins while you'd be waiting 2 hours with a med like trazodone.

Back