Singleton Socialization

oldwoodsman

How do you handle singletons for play/socialization if you have a sole survivor in your litters. I have a 4 week old sole survivor (litter or 7 that were born as strays, momma had no interest in her puppies, 3 taken out by birds of prey, 1 to aspiration pneumonia before making it to us, then 2 to parvovirus at 2 weeks of age). Our sole survivor was transferred to a different room and whelping pen in our house (good thing I have spare whelping pens).

We have not yet allowed her interaction with our other dogs who are usually good about playing with puppies because we normally don’t start allowing till 6 weeks of age. Of additional concern is that we now consider the house contaminated, and whereas we have washed the floors with both rescue and parvasol 2. I can help but worry if the dogs have it on their pads (we are not allowing anyone into the room she is in). She did start her vaccinations at 4 weeks of age per the exposure table (table 2 of the WSAVA vaccination guidelines), but I am trying to gauge the best trade offs for safety (she survived the 2 week incubation period post exposure to her siblings) vs socializing with other dogs. All other dogs are fully vaccinated.

She is regularly handled by myself and my wife (she and siblings were bottle fed, such a dead beat momma).

Anyone been in a similar situation and have any advice to give?

My only other singleton litter had momma and puppies dumped on the side or a road at approximately 6 weeks of age, one pup fell into a culvert, momma couldn’t get him out, went looking for a human, found one, dragged them back to where her other puppies had all been hit by cars but the one was still stuck in the culvert, but he was older and had more time with his siblings. Hers all died by 2 weeks.

@oldwoodsman If everyone is vaccinated I would think everyone should be safe letting them intermingle as long as the others are staying home and not going out in public.

If you don't want to allow them to come in contact with each other I would at least try to setup a way that they can at least see each other. I would work on as much ENS work as possible, everything you have for them to stand or lay on they need to be on. All sounds you can get produced make. Everything you have do to change what they see/touch/hear can't hurt.

Singletons are not doomed, they do happen under normal conditions and can adapt very well. I will say that I do know of one singleton that is the LOUDEST thing I have heard. Not sure if it is related or not.

@home4good Hadn't read up on ENS before, but it is very similar to things that I already do. Likewise, I regularly expose my pups to things like the yard care machinery noise, garbage trucks, etc... This little gal got to be exposed to the sounds of jackhammers due to work at my house.

I think one of my concerns is could there still be some parvo floating around somewhere of my floor or yard that she can catch...

Thanks for your advice.

Back