Sick puppy, looking for advice, no vets available (isolated area)

sazzyv1010

found this pup, apparently abandoned, on a northern reserve in Canada. There are no vets here, and so we can't very well ask anybody for help.

It is very young - i guess about 6 weeks. It was very hungry when we found it and for all the dogs that are producing milk around here we can't find one that will nurse it.

It seems to have bites or sores on its belly, they have a red ring with a black dot in the center. need help diagnosing the severity of these sores and possible treatments.

Also, I am open to advice and criticism regarding looking after this dog. Ive had a dog before but not a puppy this young.

Thanks for your help

EDIT: Thanks everybody for the help. The dog isnt staying with me but after feeding it, its looking a lot happier. I think the spots were just sand fly bites from sleeping in the sand outside all the time (I believe this because the spots have dissipated since giving her a bath and there are none of the telltale signs of ringworm i.e. hair loss). Im gonna keep feeding it and if it chooses to stick around, i may adopt it in the end.

@sazzyv1010 Depending on where you are: Try contacting a rescue that is as close by as possible and ask them for assistance and their opinion. Puppies are easy to rehome and they will likely have connections with local mobile vets or at least (hopefully) be able to send someone out--even better if you can get it to a more central city (or even a town), they can put the word out through social media. If they have anyone going to your area, they may even be able to provide you with food/etc if you can hold it until they can get another location for it.

(ETA: oops, I assumed you're looking to get the dog moved eventually. Im central Canada and my old foster used to get a ton of dogs off the reserves, so we have more mobile units then maybe other areas).

To me, that definitely strikes me as looking like ringworm or possibly insect bites (I am not a vet).

@sazzyv1010 Post your. Vet question to /r/askvet.

As far as the questions about owning a young puppy, I can maybe help. I'm a certified positive reinforcement dog trainer.

A puppy so young needs a very KIND person to raise it. Absolutely no scolding (don't even say "NO" to the puppy).. this puppy is too young to be scolded about anything at all. Puppies explore the world using their mouths, so if he/she bites something, grabs something, knocks something over to grab it, do not scold her. She needs a calm, positive owner. If you never allow her to explore the world the way puppies do, she could end up with behavioral issues, trust issues, aggression, etc.

Instead of scolding her (which she doesn't at all understand. Words need to be trained, just saying, "NO" in a scary voice will scare her, and she won't understand why you're attempting to scare her), you should be using redirection. This means if she gets into trouble at any point, grab a fun toy, sit a few feet away, call her or say something happy/fun like "Pup pup pup!!" Make kissy noises.. get her attention onto the toy, and play with her for being easily redirected away from something inappropriate. If she were to grab a slipper, or something she shouldn't have.. do not just snatch it away from her unless you want a dog who guards everything, and snaps at you when you try to take those things away. Instead, trade. If she has something inappropriate, calmly trade her the inappropriate item, with a toy she is allowed to chew on.

No scolding for accidents, period. Instead, just be sure to keep her successful by allowing her outside to potty very very often. If she has an accident, it is your fault, scold/abuse yourself for it. You didn't bring her out soon enough. Her tiny bladder lacks muscles, and she cannot be expected to "hold it" more than 15-30 minutes. If you scold her for accidents, she will fear pottying in front of you, and potty training will be all the more challenging as she will hide and sneakily pee when you aren't looking so you cannot scold her.

You need to be laid back and allow the puppy to be a puppy without scolding the pup for doing what comes naturally. You can slowly over time show the pup what is appropriate using redirection, trading, and treats. If the pup is really interested in something inappropriate outdoors, use treats to encourage her to stick with you. If she is fearful of something, use treats to show her it ain't all that bad. If the pup is acting up and going crazy, bouncing off of the walls, use calming methods like holding out a treat in your closed fist and only offering the treat when the pup has settled down. No need to scold.. there is always a better way to go about things.

Just be calm, be gentle, be forgiving. Dogs do not need to be told what they're doing wrong all of the time, or they will resent you. Dogs need positive reinforcement, especially terriers like the one you've got there.

@graybiker Thanks for the info :)

Poor thing was a little nervous being inside for the forced bath and feeding (lol), and did have a pee/poop, but no I didnt scold. See the update, dog is doing alot better. In fact, it seems to have a sibling, and they are both hanging around my neighbourhood.

If I do adopt one, I will be sure to keep your advice in mind - thanks again. Since you seem to be so knowledgeable I do have a couple more questions:

1) what gives it away as a terrier?
2) Most of the dogs here live outside all winter. It should get very cold (below 0 celcius) in 1-2 months. Seeing as many other dogs survive the winters somehow, do you think this dog has a chance? my heart might break and ill adopt her (even if it just means letting her sleep in the unheated porch and feeding/watering her) but im wondering if its necessary for her to survive. I feel like it might be since she is so young....

@sazzyv1010 1) To me, your pup just looks like a terrier. The short ears, the wired hair. I could definitely be totally wrong, and the pup could grow up to be some kind of Shepherd mix, as many puppies look very much alike.

2) Absolutely NOT. Puppies should NEVER be kept outside in that kind of weather... EVER. Puppies cannot regulate their body temperature like adult dogs can, so heat exhaustion/overheating and needing to see a vet, is extremely common. On the flip side, freezing to death is also more common in puppies because they cannot regulate their body temperature. This little one needs to be an indoor dog. I say that because once the pup is taught that he/she is an indoor dog, it will be extremely difficult to suddenly make them an outdoor dog, and the change may cause serious issues (trust issues, behavioral issues due to environmental change, etc). This puppy cannot sleep underneath the porch, cannot sleep outside, cannot spend hot summer days outdoors, cannot spend cold winter days/nights outside. The puppy will not survive it, and not only that, but you will be dealing with major behavioral issues. Dogs need to bond with humans, they need that friendship, they literally live for it. Dogs need mental stimulation every single day (interaction with you, basic obedience training using treats, playing with you, etc). Dogs need daily physical stimulation as well, and that does not mean a run around the same backyard every day.. it means a daily walk somewhere new. If you keep the pups exercise limited to the backyard, you will definitely have behavioral issues arise. Of course, don't walk her just yet, as she is so young, and you don't want her to pick up any diseases.

I hope this was helpful, and I hope you can see it in your heart to keep her as an indoor dog for her happiness and safety.

@graybiker If I could give gold, I would.
To add to this- /r/DogTraining has great resources on the sidebar and wiki. All positive reinforcement- the sub doesn't allow advice promoting the use of any sort of physical punishment, fear, or pain.

@sazzyv1010 What sorts of shops do you have in your area? Pet shops and feed shops will often carry milk replacement for puppies.

She looks old enough to start eating some solid food, whatever foods you feed weaning puppies in your area. If you use dry dog food, add water and grind it up to make a wet gruel.

I've heard of people using goat's milk as a milk replacement for orphans. I can't imagine it would be as good as dog milk or the real replacement milk, but it's better than going hungry if she won't eat solid food yet.

Back