Should we make r/Dogowners public, or remain restricted so only approved users can post?

theophilos014

Should we make r/Dogowners public, or remain restricted so only approved users can post?

Hi guys, instead of creating a post and asking you all the comment on it, a poll should make things more convenient - just a click!

Currently, although restricted, anyone can see, however only approved users can make posts. Lifting the restriction will let any user post.

Vote Button
Poll Options
Current Vote Count
Vote
Yes
66 Votes
Vote
No
5 Votes

Instructions:
  • Click Vote to Register Your Vote.
Note: Vote Count in this post will be updated real time with new data.

Make Your Own Poll Here redditpoll.com.

See live vote count here

@buithanhtruong92 Yeah I just realized that after voting.
I’m vote for keeping it public - simply so new users can get advice quick for things that could be time sensitive, without the hassle of going through a lengthy verification process while also worrying about their doggo.

Especially for new or young dog owners who may not know if something is an emergency and may not take a trip to the vet unless they knew it was an emergency.

@theophilos014 I'm gonna be contrarian, apparently, but I'd like it to remain restricted for a simple reason: with popularity comes white noise — people who don't own dogs giving advice being the main thing I worry about.

That said, I very much understand and respect the argument that publicity will increase the number of people who do own dogs, and the simple fact that publicity will increase engagement — both making this a more fun place to engage with.

So I'll have no hard feelings if the sub goes public at all. I simply vote 'no' because I think that fits my use case more, and I'll take whatever happens with joy.

If it goes public, I would love to see some kind of verification project, where people can send a selfie with their dog and a timestamp so others know when they're reading advice from actual dogowners.

@theophilos014 Hey dogowners,

I hope you're all having a good day! Apologies, I forgot to mention how long the poll will be up. Considering most of you have busy lives (work, school, pets, kids, etc), I think a week should be a fair amount of time to allow everyone the chance to vote. Please let me know if you think this is too short or too long for any reason, and if it makes sense, I'll do whatever helps.

Also, just in case anyone got suspicious, apologies for the alternate account. You can see from my profile that I literally just made it. Something from the redditpoll was messing up my log-ins, so I just created this to send the post as soon as I could.

The poll for this potential subreddit policy change will close September 6*.* I know I said a week above, but I think it's messed up to give people deadlines on a Friday, so we'll just close it the weekend following this one.

Edit: Wow, I know it's been half the day, but I wasn't expecting responses until a couple days. To the 3 of you who voted already, thank you very much, it's appreciated. Hopefully others will have time to vote as well. Please have a wonderful weekend everyone!