Should I travel with my nervous dog or board him? What will help him more?

muzzi

Is it better to leave an anxious/nervous dog to board with an individual or travel with them (for travels b/w 3-7 days)?

tl;dr On the one hand, I could see traveling with him a good opportunity to introduce new stimuli/people (in bursts, with space for downtime), but I worry that it's more stress more often (given he seems most comfortable with routine). On the other hand, I could see that boarding gives him more predictability & routine.

----

Context: My partner and I adopted our rescue dog ~9 months ago, when he was 1 y.o. He lived most of his life on the streets and was understandably anxious the first ~6 months with us. He has never been aggressive (opts to run away) but is very very hesitant and nervous around people. He has made incredible progress with time, counter conditioning, and exposure to new things (at pace & with rest). He is a lot more open to people & new things, but still gets stressed somewhat easily.

Nowhere near an exhaustive list, but here are some pros/cons off the top of my head:

Boarding with individual

Pros
  • More consistency & predictability with routine and people
  • He's usually around 1-2 other dogs (which he loves)
Cons
  • Stressful adjustment since he doesn't trust people off the bat. Usually doesn't eat and has diarrhea.

Adjustment can be anywhere b/w 3-5 days.
  • I worry that I am babying/shielding him from what I think is less stressful but might be better for him in the long run??
  • Expensive (which we don't mind as much since we budget for it)
Bringing him on our travels

Pros
  • He is exposed to new experiences, people, pets, stimuli.
  • Though it might be stressful in the short term, he seems to adjust overtime and be even more open to new things. It also has helped us build trust b/w us.
  • We think it might help him in the long run with more opportunities to desensitize
  • We love getting to see him try new things and join us on our day-to-day adventures.
Cons
  • He seems to be more stressed more often

(to address this, we'll aside time & space for him to decompress).
  • People (especially new people) can stress him out

(though, explaining what he needs/wants helps)
  • We usually cut our trip a bit short since we don't want him to be stressed for a long period of time (not as big of a problem for me since I love being home lol)
I would greatly appreciate any advice, anecdotes, considerations. Thank you in advance!

@muzzi I always opt to take my dogs with me on travels if possible. Boarding is way more stressful and exposure to new things with their people is a great thing.

@muzzi If it’s going mess your trip up, I’d say board. Especially if they love where they go. It’s like a vacation for your pup! We take ours with us sometimes so she gets new experiences but we board her as well and she RUNS to the door when she sees we’re at daycare!

You can always socialize your pup in other ways but if they’re stressed/anxious and it makes you stressed/anxious, it’s not worth it IMO