Should i shave down my dog?

jesusisyahweh

BEFORE ANYONE COMMENTS about abuse or neglect or that life can’t “happen”. I lived with two roommates, one went to their hometown for a few months and the other got into an accident and didn’t survive. I was alone with the dog but too depressed to care for her so a friend (who unfortunately didn’t know how to properly brush her) took care of her for a couple months until my other roommate got back. I now have her back and I’m just trying to figure out the best way to deal with matting.

She’s a poodle mix and has a 2-3” coat on her body and legs, life happened and she got quite a few very matted spots on her (one shoulder area, one hip area, around the neck and on her ears). They’re not all super bad and not all to the skin, but still definitely matted. We don’t have a dematting brush or a slicker/pin brush, just a typical brush and a metal comb. We tried getting an appointment with a groomer but they had to cancel and we can’t get another appointment with anyone for the next month. Temps here are between -10°C and 10°C usually, there’s still snow so I don’t know if she would be too cold if we shaved her down. Any ideas on what to do?

@jesusisyahweh I would definitely go ahead with the shave. The hair will definitely grow back and poodles are very warm dogs. If they do get cold you can get a coat or sweater. The matting will continue to get worse and end up causing pain to your poor puppy which is the last thing you want. Think of it as a fresh start for spring!

@jesusisyahweh She’d rather be cold and shorn than matted. If you can’t get her a winter coat, keep her walks limited to toilet breaks and exercise her indoors. If you can’t get her into a groomer, ask your vet if they can bathe and shave her.

Book her in ASAP and keep a regular 6-8 week schedule especially if you don’t have a slicker brush to keep her coat in good condition at home. I pretty much always book my next grooming when paying up.

It can be tough getting into a home grooming routine but I can assure it’s super easy to do while you’re watching TV or hanging out after dinner.

Learn how to line brush with a slicker brush and follow up with a greyhound comb.

@jesusisyahweh Some dogs are even happier having a short coat. I have a poodle and no matter the season, you can really tell he likes his short coat! I have grown him out in the winters, and tried him shaved down, and believe it or not he is way more playful and happy go lucky with that short shave. He does have a sweater I put on him, and if he is tired of being out back he just barks to come in.

I know it seems super scary and their looks are so different sometimes it can be shocking, but some dogs really are happier with that shavedown!

@jesusisyahweh I'm so sorry for your loss;; sounds like shaving is the best way to go, and you can always get her cute sweaters in the meantime to help keep her warm. Depending on how bad the matting is you may be able to get away with just spot shaving the matted areas so she keeps the majority of her coat

@jesusisyahweh Shave down to start over unless the groomer thinks otherwise since they will have a better idea of how bad it is. Dog clothes to stay warm outside but make sure you are brushing before and after the clothes come off since they can matt up a coat even more.

Back