should i adopt this dog from shelter?

tshepongwenya

So i am planning to adopt a golden retriever that arrived at a shelter around a week or so ago. He is 2 years old and is on the high risk list for euthanization, but the vet comments have me concerned that he may need surgery or something.

From what I can interpret, he was hit by a car and seems to have some pelvic problems but that is as far as i could understand.

My main worry is that he may need surgery and not be able to be as active (I have 2 other dogs that like to rough play).

Here are the vet notes

So i am planning on adopting a dog from a shelter which is a golden retriever. Upon looking at the vet notes, the dog seems to have quite a bit of issues. Does can anyone understand what it mean? I know HBC is hit by car but the rest is just too hard to understand and when emailing them they did not tell me what exactly is wrong.

Any ideas:

" vet Exam Notes:

patient reported hbc trauma, examined and tx at er, has rads, pelvic rads reportedly exhibiting R slab ischial fx, patient is bar, e/d well, able

to stand and ambulate, exhibiting minor abrasions along RH hock and dermal wound along RH hip region, r/o trauma, underlying pelvic

fx/injury, other underlying trauma

requesting wound clip

begin antibiotics/analgesics "

@tshepongwenya Translation: Patient reported hit by car trauma, examined and treated at ER, has x-ray, pelvic X-ray reportedly exhibiting right slab ischial fracture (pelvic bone you can google to see where it is). Patient is bright, alert, reactive (all good signs), eating and drinking well, able to stand and ambulate (walk), exhibiting minor abrasions along right hind hock and skin wound along right hip region. Rule out trauma, underlying pelvic fracture/injury, other underlying trauma.

It’s all going to boil down to the severity of that pelvic fracture. But if doggo is walking decently, it may be something that can heal without surgery. If you’re serious about the dog, request a copy of the X-ray and have your vet evaluate and discuss.

Edit* short term the dog won’t be able to play with the other dogs. But after healing and or repair, it may not be an issue.

Back