Shaving dog and giving sub-q fluids

chapstevesock

Anybody have any advice on best way to give sub-q fluids. I have been giving them to my dog Thumper for the past year 5x a week.

Issues I have been running into is that he hates being poked. Skin area is not as elastic as before and when his hair is not kept short (after a month of grooming) it gets harder to insert the needle and see what I am doing.

Lately I have been giving him fluids on his side and lower back as that has the best excess skin at the moment.

I was thinking of getting some clippers to shave the area I need but hate that he will have a permanent bald spot.

Just looking for advice from some seasoned pet owners that have had to give their pets fluids on a long-term basis to make it easier and less traumatic on us both.

@chapstevesock CVT - chronic SQ fluids can be tricky. No one wants to be poked. You can try asking the vet for smaller needles. It will take longer to administer, but if the poke is what bothers him, hopefully he settles down once the needle is in. It is absolutely ok to shave a few spots so you can see what you are doing.

Best to stick to the lower scruff and over the shoulders, that is where there is the most excess skin is, and your best chance of not having to administer several times in one sitting. That being said, if you have to go lower on the back just try to pick an area with more room under the skin, again to prevent multiple pokes. I'm assuming he has kidney disease, so keeping him happy is important. Good luck.

@chapstevesock I haven't needed to give long term, but the area between the shoulder blades is usually the easiest. Pull up the skin, insert finger to make a tent and then insert needle. Is that what you were doing and can't use that area anymore? What type of dog and what size?

@jeremymeeft Exactly I was using the shoulder blade and it is no longer elastic. Now it is more fibrous and it bothers Thumper when I insert the needle there.

Thumper is a yorkie around 16 pounds.