Senior dog food recommendations

Hi everyone! I have an 8 year old Shihtzu Poodle mix. He’s recently turned 8 and I decided it’s really time for a diet change. He recently went to the ER bc he was having TMI, bloody diarrhea. They put him on a bland diet for a week and gave him some anti-nausea medication & whatnot and he got better. The vet said he could’ve just eaten something that didn’t sit well w/ his old stomach.

Here’s why I want to switch food: my dog was originally my family dog. I moved him over with me recently since he was getting old and my parents just got an English Bulldog puppy. My dog wasn’t getting the same attention or care & frankly couldn’t stand how playful the pup was. He’s an old grump but he’s adjusted well with me & I’m extremely attached now. My mom has always fed him Beneful and now that he’s in my care I realize that Beneful has a horrible reputation. He’s a senior dog now and is going to be more sensitive to foods so I’d like to switch him to a better kibble. He loves kibble (only chicken flavored) and I do add vitamins (vet recommended), a little pumpkin, bone broth and every so often chicken breast to his kibble. I’d like to get him better quality food but I’m also a recent grad so if there’s anything out there that’s at least sort of affordable, my wallet and I would appreciate it. Thank you!

@ihaveacrushonjesuschrist I would recommend either Purina, Royal Canine, or Hill/science Diet (Same company different branches of food)
These three companies are the only ones who have their own production plants to make their food, which eleminates cross contamination from other brand food being made on the line. Also all three companies are the only three I know of who run scientific studies on their food to ensure quality.

Every brand of food will have what is called an AAFCO statement on the bag which will let you know what stage of life a the food is made for. This statement can be hard to find and is often in smaller print. You should be looking for the AAFCO statement 'maintenence of adults' and nothing else.

Like people food, good food is expensive. So for cost Purina would be your likely best bet. I recommend doing your research into all three brands to figure out what works best for you and your dog but I'll link the Purina Senior food since it seems to meet most of your needs.

May you loved one live a long and happy life!

https://www.purina.com/purina-one/d...MIkJDkld7Z8wIVaBmtBh1o1AqQEAAYASAAEgKKWvD_BwE

@ihaveacrushonjesuschrist I like Fromm as a good cheap option they even have a senior recipe (which is chicken). Look up Fromm vs purina or whatever options in that price range on PawDiet and you can see that Fromm doesn’t have as many gross ingredients. Hope this helps!

Back