Second ACD- those who have two

rushamania

I have my boy Huck and he has been an amazing dog- up until I gave birth two years ago.
The lack of undivided attention and 2-3 hours outside time has changed his life and behavior drastically.
We used to take long hikes and he was essentially my baby.
I’m trying so hard to juggle a toddler who hates being in a stroller and being able to give Huck his walks and attention.

My vet suggested getting a puppy, another ACD perhaps.

Is this a terrible idea, or those who’ve done it, did you notice positive change in your dog? We’re looking for someone/something to drive the energy out of him, because now I’m momming 24/7 and my husband works awful hours.

This was not the case when we got Huck. I feel awful but husband does not want to rehome.

@rushamania I have 2 ACDs (and there are 3 of them between me & SO). They do keep each other company and play together, but having a second dog will not take the place of taking them outside for walks and playing. Mostly, whatever room I am at inside the house is where they want to be, even though we have a storm door dog door that I leave available most of the day. They occasionally go out and lay in the sun, and run out from wherever they are in the house to bark at various things (that part is very fun for them both).

Daily, we go for one or two long leashless walks (live in a rural area) and four-six ball playing sessions of about 15 mins each with a rubber ball and a chukker (this combination sends the balls really far).

Your current ACD is a male, I would recommend getting a female - there will be less of the battle for top dog, imho.

I like having multiple dogs of the same energy level so that one isn't bothering the heck out of another. They have different personalities, one of mine is laid back and the other is an extremely busy dog.

You could adopt an ACD from a foster that is more of a laid back character than getting a puppy, because you never know what they will be like when they mature.

acdra.org is a national group that can help you find available dogs in your area. Do this search: Australian cattle dog rescues and you might find more local rescues, and be sure to check the herding dog rescues, too, where you will also find ACDs.

@effrem This! My three dogs play but unless I am there to help facilitate more play, it’s not enough to replace walks.

I would invest in the Woof pupsicle. The premade inserts will last a full 30mins (if you freeze them) for my ACD and no Kong or bone/body part ever lasts that long. It’s been very helpful when I really need him to stop being extra needy and crazy

@rushamania If you get another ACD, I suggest one of the opposite sex. We first had Captain Boodles (male), then added Lucy. In the years since Boodles’ passing, we’ve added another male and have never had a problem.
Prior to Lucy we tried fostering two males with Boodles on separate occasions… with horrible results.

@rushamania I have a 7mo baby and an ACD and one thing I keep reminding myself is that kids grow really fast and the issues I'm having today could be gone by tomorrow. And there is often a simple solution. When my son was 2-5mo he hated his stroller and cried whenever I tried to walk him with the dog. Switched to baby wearing and we were on our way. Now he likes his stroller and we can do long walks together. Your toddler will grow and change, and could become comfortable in his stroller. Have you tried walking around naptime so baby sleeps in the stroller? Offer snacks or favorite drink to enjoy? Also soon enough, he won't even need the stroller and will be able to walk along with you. Be patient, a few months of your dog not getting perfect amounts of attention/exercise is not a big deal over the course of his life. Get another dog if it works for your family but if you can't, your dog will be fine, just give it time.

@rushamania Okay good I was worried because the moment I hit reply, I was like, whoops gave parenting advice/pep talk when you were asking for dog advice but here we are anyway.

@rushamania I would not get another ACD, but another pup is an option, maybe something mixed or more mellow. If you can avoid a puppy, do -- you're already not getting enough sleep and puppies are hard. Not as hard as babies, but harddd.

Do you have any dog friends that could stay for a couple days, or could you foster to see if a companion helps meet his energy needs? Before you commit to a life.. it wouldn't give you the full picture as the friend dog wouldn't be adjusted to your routines, but you could see if huck is engaged with a friend.

I had 2 dogs that never played, then a different companion that mine adores and they do wrestle a bit but she's old. Hard to know without committing to a whole other dog and doubling your demands.

Is there anyone in your circle that could take on some dog walking duties? Is doggy daycamp, playdates, or a walker in the budget? I buy a half hour walk once a week and that seems to take care of excess energy for a couple of days. Heck, I'd pay a kid $5 to play fetch for 10 mins some days..

Can you do more small activities while baby is occupied? Nosework games, obedience for 5 mins, agility on the play equipment in the park, tug, even just sit/stay/come sequences -- those add up to brain drain.

Can you teach huck jobs to do? Holding kid items would be cute. Getting keys or shoes, or something like that.

Automated toys? Snuffle mat,food puzzles, ball launcher, scattering meals on the lawn for him to find.

You're in a super tough part of your kid and your dog's lives. It will get better in time. How can you get creative with what you've got right now?

@rushamania Two dogs = double the work.

That being said, try fostering. Zero long term commitment unless you choose to adopt. Do something nice for another dog while you figure out if it's right for your home. Find out if your dog will even accept another dog in the home.

@rushamania It’s always a bit of a crap shoot bringing another pup into the fold. Our red male was started to having anxiety issues so we pulled the trigger on getting a little blue female pup. The first week was Wyatt not wanting anything to do with her, but then they started playing and it’s been good ever since. That might be just what your Heeler needs.

@rushamania I don’t have advice about adopting a second dog, but when my kid was in the baby and toddler stages, our Baby Björn and then our Osprey Poco kid carrier were lifesavers. Kelty makes a backpacking style kid carrier as well. I couldn’t manage a stroller and an ACD, but carrying the kid (first in front with the baby Björn then on my back like a backpack) helped tremendously because I could walk fairly quickly and have both hands free.

@rushamania My Senior guy Pete is getting long in the tooth at 12 years old. I have considered this as well. We are ranchers so activities are plenty here. I just spoke to my wife about this again this morning. I am holding off for now. I want to give him as much attention as I can. ACD Puppies require SO MUCH TIME to do things right. I remember the kid days well and your hands are full. I would recommend finding more time for your current dog. Puppy down the road.

@rushamania I have 2 mixed ACD sisters and it’s worked out great! I was planning on adopting 2 dogs. I wasn’t going to do littermates but since the shelter was having trouble adopting my girls I ended up with sisters. Fortunately having 2 females hasn’t been a problem, but ideally I think it’s best to get opposite sex dogs. It’s great having 2 dogs whose energy levels and agility’s match! We have property and a large fenced yard when my girls chase each other they’re like bullets whizzing by. They also have a number of what I see as quirky ACD games they play with each other that I can’t see other dogs getting.

With a previous ACD mix I had bringing another dog into the mix didn’t work out as well. I had adopted that ACD mix when I was starting out life on my own, he did a ton of traveling and camping with me. When I settled down got married and became a mother I decided to get him a companion. He loved playing with other dogs and met and liked the new dog until he realized the new dog wasn’t leaving his house. There weren’t problems with fighting or anything but my older dog forever did his best to ignore the new dog. ACDs are so attached to their people and I guess my dog had been quite content with being an only child. I think it can be harder for an adult dog who’s used to being the only dog to accept a new dog.
I think a previous poster’s suggestion of fostering a dog is a great idea! It would allow you to have a trial run and see how your pup does with a new companion.

Back