S/o chihuahua mix doesn’t get along with my GSD

artistofmysoul

So, my 4 year old GSD female dog just met my girlfriends 2 year old female chihuahua mix at her house. My dog was super calm but the chihuahua was growling the whole time. My GSD was sniffing the house, minding her own business, never growled back at the chihuahua. At one point, my GSD touched noses with her to sniff her (you know how dogs do) and the chihuahua snapped at her. Again, my GSD just backed up and didn’t do anything.

This was their first time meeting. They were in the same house for about 20-30 mins, when my GSD was in the chihuahuas sight, the chihuahua would growl.

We really want both of these girls to live together when we move in.
Before they meet for a second time, what tips do y’all have for us?
ANYTHING?
Thank you.
Im looking into a dog behaviorist but they’re big $$. Any tips will be greatly appreciated.
Do you guys think it’s possible to get them to get along eventually? :(

@artistofmysoul So your first mistake was them meeting in one of your houses. As that is their territory, so their natural instinct is to protect it.

You should’ve taken them on a dog walk and let them familiarise and sniff about each other, and do that a few times then once they seem comfortable, then let them go into each others home.

@artistofmysoul So you'll be wanting to do walks, and having them hang out on leash without interacting. Teach them to be comfortable around each other. The face to face thing can be intimidating, especially for a little dog. A dogs face is a weapon. The Chi mix was giving signals that she was uncomfortable.