Returning puppy to shelter today

san422

This is not a new story. I’m sure it’s common to this group. I don’t know why I’m posting it. Probably just an mental health exercise to have it all in one place. Perhaps in the future when I have doubts or second thoughts, i can return here and re-read the mental space I was in. I don’t need advice. My wife and I have spent the past 24 hours going over it time and again.

Backstory:
I’m not a dog person. I never have been. My wife grew up with dogs. Lots of dogs. Her son (14) also grew up with dogs. My son (11, split custody) also likes dogs, although I never had one. His mother, my ex has a live-together boyfriend who had a dog that recently passed. Which is why my son has some dog experience.

Ever since getting married three years ago my wife has talked about wanting a dog. I’ve always felt a little bad, like that I was making her less than perfectly happy by always being the “no dog” guy. Finally two months ago I started thinking about her ultimate happiness and so I lightened up on the dog thing.

This Saturday we were driving around aimlessly and it was my idea to visit a few shelters. We encountered an 8-week old female black lab and it was mostly me who was pushing for it. The dog is quite well behaved, smart, not a barker, but a dog. Rather than fully committing to adoption we decided to do a short foster run of 2-3 weeks, just to be sure. The shelter doesn’t normally like to do fostering with puppies, but they agreed. We took her home Saturday afternoon. Yesterday morning (Sunday, our first full day with her, and likely our only full day with her) we awoke to poop in four places in the kitchen living room along with pee puddles. We cleaned it all up at 5:30am before my wife left for work. I’ve been watching training videos and reading dog training posts like crazy. We’d purchase floor pads because a friend of mine swears by them, but then later yesterday I was speaking to a trainer who said we were doing it all wrong and needed to buy a crate and ditch the pads. I don’t want to get into the details of potty training, but this project was all on me, the non dog lover.

I naively assumed that my wife and kids would take up the brunt of the puppy car dog care because it was they who most wanted the dog. But since I work from home and my wife doesn’t, and since I drive the kids to and from school, the walks and dog care would all fall on me from 6am to 4pm most days.

Before I go on I’ll clarify that we live in a 2BR apartment, with no backyard. There’s no place for the dog to roam free. Also my wife and I are trying to have a baby and that’s more where my interests lay. I think the puppy would drain my baby care energy and the baby would drain my puppy care energy and I’d thus be offering worse care to puppy and worse care to future baby.

I was hoping yesterday to see the 14yo taking full care of the dog. The deal we had was that during school days I would take care of the dog, but on weekends and non school hours the wife and kids would take care of the dog. But even during the first day that’s not what happened. The 14 year old was playing video game with his friend and I had to micromanage him to take the puppy on walks, etc. In fact most of my day yesterday was dog related, buying a crate and black light and dog toys at the store and timing the meals and expected poop times. It was a burden on my day off but I just want everyone to be happy.

Thankfully my wife had been increasingly thinking this wouldn’t work. She knows the burden was falling mainly on me. I appreciate that she was think about me probably more than I was.

After work yesterday we had several long talks. Realistically trying to see how this would all work. We kept circling around but always landing on the notion that the puppy wasn’t a good fit for our situation.

It’s 2am Monday, our 36th hour of having this puppy and the plan is that I will return the puppy later this morning. I don’t want to adversely affect the puppy and I think having it for less than 48 hours won’t have a negative impact on its permanent home prospects. I do feel terrible though. The 14yo is most sad and has been crying alot. Neither my wife nor I have cried, but we both like the dog.

That’s the plan. I don’t know why I’m sharing this story. Mainly for my own mental health. If ever I was going to have a dog, I would be fine with this dog. But the situation is toughest on me and I’m not naturally inclined to dogs. If it was a cat then I’d have less issues. I don’t enjoy living in an apartment with a catbox, but I could cope as cats are much less maintenance and I like playing with cats. But big picture this isn’t a cat v dog situation because my wife and the 14yo don’t like cats.

It will be sad driving to the shelter today. Not sad for the dog, but sad that I don’t think our situation is good for the dog nor for me mainly.

Also part of this is that I know dogs live 15-17 years and the kids, especially the 14 year old will likely be starting college in 3 1/2 years. That would mean 100% the dog would be in the care of my wife and I for the remaining 12 years of the dogs life. Although I want to give the kids their happiest childhood, I fear that I’ll be burdened and less free once the kids are in college. I don’t know our exact long term plans, but we may move out of country when the kids start college. I don’t see us living in a house with a backyard for several years and if we move to another country we’d probably start off there in a smaller apartment than what we have now. And if we have another child, that child would be around 7-8 and I feel like my attention would be too scattered to be the best father I could be.

Anyway, it’s a sad day for our family, but for the dog’s sake and for my own mental health we decided to return the puppy.

@san422 You did the right thing. Just out of curiosity though; did your family discuss anything about who takes care of the dog? How you wrote it gives me the impression you had a spontaneous idea to drop by at a shelter and trial a puppy, without actually agreeing who takes care of it? As your family members are experienced with dog care, it strikes me as very odd for them to want a dog, not do any agreements and leave the primary care for the exact one person in the family who didn't want a dog?

Puppies will pee and poo inside for a while. Some for the rest of their lives. Your family knows that. I'm saying what you did was right, but this is weird. A common family pet should be taken care of by everyone. But even if the pet is someone's own, as long as the pet lives with others, other family members are impacted by it.

@amandajd It's all a super weird way to do things.

Especially weird to not give it the full 2-3 weeks to try to see how things are going and to expect a young puppy to know exactly how to behave with zero experience in a home. Even an older puppy would regress from the change in environment. The whole rule of 3s is a rule for a reason.

@san422 Man on the one hand I feel like you didn't even give either the puppy or your wife/the 14 yo a chance. You've had the puppy only one day and the first day didn't work out exactly as planned and you're already throwing in the towel. I don't mean to be harsh but I hope that this situation has been a learning experience for everyone. I do think you are making the right decision, because I don't think you are at all ready for a dog and I don't believe you should try to force yourself to be a dog person if you aren't.

If you decide to get a dog in the future someday (though I find that unlikely, and there's nothing wrong with that) please consider adopting an older dog. Puppies are a ton of work and you can't predict what an adult dog is going to be like based off of 1 day of having an 8 week old puppy at home (saying this because you said the pup is "not a barker" which sounds important to you- my puppy did not bark a single time until he was nearly 4 months old, but once he found his voice he REALLY found it). Research breeds and find one that would suit your lifestyle (it sounds like you would want a quiet, chill dog and labs are...not that, at least not until they're much older). But tbh the reality may be that you will never be 100% ready for or wanting a dog and hopefully your wife and family will be considerate of that just as you are considerate of them not being cat people.

@r3g3nt Thanks, it was a quick and relatively painless experience. Certainly for the dog. Our entire family learned something in 43 hours time and TBF it ended the constant wanting my wife had for a dog. We decided that we'll postpone dog ownership until the kids are gone and/or we have a backyard (we don't now). I've no regrets nor doubts that we did the right thing, both picking up the dog and returning it less than two days later. The dog would have spent the weekend in a shelter sans visitors or contact. It had a more enjoyable experience. And during that time we all learned more about the realities of owning a dog and particularly a puppy. Win win win. Even the shelter won because we donated $100 in dog food/treats/toys/supplies to the shelter.

@san422 TBH this sounds like decision that's for the best. Having a dog without a backyard is hard enough as it is when it comes to potty training, and given your life situation a dog doesn't seem like a good fit. If the 14yo wants a dog they need to step up with taking care of it, they're old enough now to be aware of responsibilities and consequences.

@pastorgarymartin Honestly, both the 11 and 14 yr old are plenty old enough. Both myself and my sister were given our first dogs at 10. We were expected to provide the brunt of the care (with adult supervision). And we were fine. Hers was a small mix puppy and mine was a 1 yr old large breed - both rescues. We did live in a house though and we had both grown up with dogs, but yeah, the kids ages are not the issue here

@pearlgate kids are still kids. i have an 11-year-old and while i'm sure he will take part in puppy care once ours arrives, i would never blame him for not 'providing the brunt of the care' or for doing things like... being a kid.

he's a child and i am an adult. he can learn to take responsibility with an animal but ultimately the responsibility will be 100% mine and if he's gonna go off and do some kid stuff or teenager stuff, i'm not going to return the puppy just because that makes me upset.

while some kids are able to take responsibility of a dog to a greater degree, i don't think it's fair to expect all kids above 10 to be able to do it.

@san422 You’re doing the right thing. As someone with a 6 month old lab mix, you’re still at the easy part of puppyhood. It’s at an age where it’ll sleep a lot, but also requires a lot of going out, day and night, to get the potty training down. Even so, she’s so young it’s not going to be consistent for a couple months. Then there’s training for other things, teething, and the upcoming landshark phase. To an extent, you do have a baby in that age puppy.

If you were going to re-try the pet experience, get a dog, not a puppy. It would also require work, though, and come with its own set of issues.

Is the shelter nearby? Is that a place where the 14yo can volunteer and get some experience with dogs without your having to have one?

@seeker422 Exactly! The baby stage is just potty accidents and if you take them out every half hour, that phase over relatively quickly. My last two were relatively easy to house train. Fingers crossed for the puppy we're getting this spring 😂

@starfish63 lol - I like babies. I don't like dogs. I've already raised two babies. Changed most the diapers and even made homemade baby food. When someone is interested in something, they often perform well at that thing. Judge me all you want, but I have zero interest in dogs and was only doing it for the family, but QUICKLY realized that me doing most of the dog work wasn't a good idea.

@san422 I am currently in the same situation. I know how you are feeling but it’s the best decision. Your household is not ready.

I just returned a one year old pup that was absolutely perfect for us. But she did not accept my cats. We were heart broken and maybe it could have been fixed with much training. But she is a 30 kilo stafford, I don’t want to risk my cats life it’s not worth it.

But I have been crying non stop about it and when we returned her to the owner all she did was lay on top of my lap looking into my eyes saying “you are not going to leave me are you”

But we sadly had to 😢 it was one of the most difficult days of my life as she was absolutely perfect

@116lover You made the right decision. We had to do the same with a german shepherd pup not too long ago, she was not taking to our cats and saw them as prey, not friends. It broke my heart to return her, and I cried for two days. Sometimes you have to make the hard decisions for the good of everyone involved.

@116lover Aww that's sad for sure. You did the right thing, my friend's cat was killed by her boyfriend's dogs. It was truly horrific all the way around. It just takes one mistake, in this case the door didn't shut/latch all the way.

Back