Rescue Heeler Advise

hypnos97

I’m looking to adopt an adult Heeler and I found the perfect little dude but I have some reservations.
  1. My mom has a fear of large dogs.
  2. I know very little about the breed.
  3. I don’t know how he’d do in a 2 bedroom apartment.
I’d like to know if they’re vocal and learn a little more about their temperament. Let me know your experience if you have rescued or adopted.

About the dog; he’s about 1.5 y/o and looks small for his breed. He is described as a cuddle bug. He has a heart murmur which makes him low energy.

I’d like to adopt with as an emotional support animal and hiking companion.

@hypnos97 is the dog in foster care? is it with a rescue that specializes in ACDs?

ACDs can be a lot of dog. If your mom isn't on board (it sounds like you live with her?) it might not be the best choice of breed

@aaron_boydstun Yes, he’s in foster care. She’s on board with me getting a dog but I am taking special considerations as I want her to be able to interact with the dog.

The rescue he’s a part of specializes in ACDs.

@hypnos97 ACDs can be high energy, but sounds like your little dude will be pretty low energy from the heart murmur. I've also read that some people that have rescued ACDs that have spent some time roughing it on their own tend to be more content with being in a loving home instead of being out and about. Mine is pretty lazy, but I got her at 2 months and she's content with chasing the collie corgi mix.

ACDs yearn for mental stimulation. So long as you can keep him busy, should be good. Otherwise, chewing on wood or dry wall will be how he stays busy without supervision.

I wouldn't say a heeler is a big dog, not like a German Shepherd or Lab. I have seen people talk about their 50lb ACD, which makes me look at my 20ish pound girl at 6 months and wonder if she's a runt.

Very loyal breed, I've read they can be aloof around strangers. Mine hams it up around strangers for the food.

@hypnos97 Recently took in a rehomed 3 year old acd male. He is fabulous. I am learning his quirks which are different than my 1.5 year old. I was hesitant to not go with a puppy, but this has worked out very well so far.