(Repost with edit) What a difference a year makes…to new reactive dog owners, don’t give up hope

mjr88

I joined this sub a little over a year ago at a low point with our reactive pup. She was almost 2 yo at the time - a working line GSD, and our first ever dog, so we were completely in over our heads. She was a perfect puppy until around 6 mos – happy, sweet, knew all the basic obedience commands so well I could down her from across a room with a hand gesture. Then she had a couple of bad incidents with dogs at a dog park and became extremely dog reactive. She would go full on Cujo at dogs 150’ away – lunging, barking, jumping, frothing at the mouth. That eventually developed into reactivity to essentially everything that moved fast outside, and noises when she was in the house. She also became a crazy resource guarder over food and food related items. And to add to the fun, after a bad ER vet visit she became vet and groomer phobic to the point where she nipped one groomer while getting her nails done. After that, I did her husbandry myself with her muzzled.

By the time I found this sub we’d spent hundreds of hours training her and thousands of dollars hiring training “experts” to advise us (6 different ones by that point), including an exorbitantly expensive board & train. With each change in training methodology she would get better for a short while, then would regress. I was so stressed and exhausted, and so worried we were going to have to give her up.

A year later she’s about to turn 3 yo, and she is a completely different dog. She’s essentially not reactive to anything except dogs now, and even with dogs she’s ok at about 20' if we warn her a dog is nearby and they don’t bark or make a motion to come towards her. And even when she reacts she recovers quickly with minimal after effects. We now do training in shopping centers because our behaviorist believes she can someday be a café dog, something we never could have imagined this time last year. We haven’t had a resource guarding incident in 10 mos. We’ve had 3 back-to-back uneventful vet appointments. I can now grind her nails, brush her, and give her a bath with her happily wagging her tail – no muzzle needed. Most importantly, our relationship has changed. It’s hard to put into words, but we now have a partnership – it’s the two of us together trying to navigate a sometimes-scary world instead of me trying to control her reactions. There was a wonderful post when I first joined where the poster said something like, “The things I did for her in the beginning became things we enjoyed doing together.” I didn’t understand what he meant then, but I do now. I never thought I’d look forward to quiet strolls through cemeteries and office parks, but I do.

We have a wonderful team of true experts who understand and love our pup – an IAABC certified behaviorist, a vet behaviorist, and a Nosework instructor who also teaches reactive dog classes. In addition to these experts, I was helped on this journey by so many wonderful people on this sub who offered moral support, training tips, and invaluable advice. I thought I’d pay it forward by listing the things that helped us the most in the beginning in case it can help any newbies who may be too overwhelmed to even know what to ask, or don’t have the financial ability to hire a string of “experts” who may or may not be able to help.

1. Calm the chaos. The first thing our behaviorist taught us is that stress causes hormones to build up in your dog (and you), and it’s impossible to learn when your body is flooded like that. He had us do an inventory of everything that stressed our dog and eliminate it. We put up window covers, played white noise machines, and stopped using loud appliances when she was in the house. We stopped taking walks in the neighborhood. We live in a high-rise condo so couldn’t eliminate taking her out entirely, but we would go to cemeteries and office complexes outside of work hours. I found the quietest time to take her out (surprisingly, it wasn’t the crack of dawn like I originally thought; it was 8:45-9:45am when working people headed home to work and before stay at home parents headed out with babies), and we’d take the stairs instead of the elevator. We also got a dog treadmill so she could still get physical exercise without going outside.

2. Teach stress reduction skills. Sniffing relaxes dogs, but our pup was so anxious when we went out she would spend her time frantically scanning for threats instead of sniffing. I had to teach her to sniff by scattering food on the ground. We fed her using a snuffle mat or hid her kibble throughout the house. We even started taking formal Nosework classes, which she adores, and doing search games at home.

3. Medication. We did all of the above but she was still hypervigilant and on a razor’s edge, so our behaviorist told us it was time to try medication. Luckily, we had the financial ability to hire a vet behaviorist because we had to go through 3 different med trials before finding the right combination. But once we did it was a game changer. Medication doesn’t cure reactivity – you still have to put in the time to train – but it allows training to be possible. Our pup used to go from 0-100 in a heartbeat, so desensitization training was incredibly difficult. Now on meds there is a beat before she reacts, and even when she does I can calm her in seconds. And even more amazing is there isn’t much after effect so we can just move away and continue training after an incident.

4. Less is more. Our behaviorist taught us that desensitization training every day is counterproductive because our dog wasn’t getting a chance to decompress and process. After a lot of experimenting I’ve finally figured out the perfect activity mix for our pup – 45 min treadmill trot daily, sniffaris in quiet places as many days as the weather allows, fetch in a Sniffspot 2 days a week, desensitization training only 3-4 days a week. We’re now training half as often as we used to but making twice as much progress.

5. Consent based husbandry. This was a game changer in grooming and vet visits. By giving her the opportunity to decide whether or not to participate in something, we found she would voluntarily choose to participate more often than not. We did vet happy visits, practiced a vaccine protocol at home (working on a blood draw protocol now), spent months acclimating her to the nail grinder and baths (about to start working on the high velocity dryer).

It was a long, hard year, and we still have a ways to go, but we can now see a path to a semi-normal life with our pup. One of my favorite proverbs is, “A person moves a mountain by moving one rock at a time.” I think that describes life with our reactive dog perfectly. One rock at a time, and we’re slowly moving that mountain of reactivity.

@mjr88 It's great to hear about your progress with your dog. We've been on a similar journey... like you, I've seen a really big shift in my relationship with my dog. She used to run and hide when I tried to brush dirt off her - now she'll roll over and hand me an injured paw to examine if I ask nicely. We've done a lot of choice and consent work on triggers, too, and she'll often choose to move herself away instead of reacting, or actively signal that she's scared and needs to leave.

You should be proud of your dog and the work you've done together. She's lucky to have such a great human.

@prophetictimes Thank you! Congrats on your success with your dog. Doesn’t it just blow your mind how a simple thing like “asking nicely” makes such a difference? Looking back it seems like it should have been common sense since they are intelligent creatures with opinions and emotions so why wouldn’t they want some control over their lives. Thanks for saying she’s lucky to have us, but we feel the luck runs both ways. She has taught us so much on how to be better dog parents, and we feel so lucky to have her. All of our future dogs will have her to thank that they’ll get a much better start than she did.

Good luck with your ongoing journey with your dog!

@mjr88 I am very grateful for my dog as well. I thought I was reasonably knowledgeable about dogs, and then we brought her home. I've learned so much because of her. Even my husband is like "I wish I'd known a fraction of what we know now. So many of my dogs and my family's dogs could have lived better lives." Our reactive ones bring their challenges but they can also be such a gift.

@mjr88 Wonderful insightful post.

With my reactive boy, the first lesson I had to learn was the hardest for me to accept: Stanley wasn’t going to be the kind of dog I wanted when I decided to adopt a dog. I can’t make him be something he’s not. He’s not the kind of pup who runs up to every stranger to say hello. He’s not the kind of dog I can take to a busy restaurant and eat outdoors with. Who is he? Stanley is a sweet, devoted, sensitive, introvert who wants nothing more than to make me happy. He lives for my praise and affection. He’s a one woman man, so to speak. When he sees that I’m comfortable with someone new — whether it be another dog or another person — he knows he’ll be alright and his anxiety melts away.

Stanley is nine years old now. He’ll always be a reactive dog but he’s never bitten anyone and I aim to keep it that way by managing his environment to the best of my ability.

@littlepenguin Yes, I went through a mourning period of the loss of the dog I thought I wanted, and that was a hard lesson to learn. But ironically, I now see I got the dog I needed even though I didn’t know it 3 years ago. Stanley and you are lucky to have found each other. Hope you have many more happy years together.

@latin2112 I’m glad. GSDs are definitely hard dogs to raise, and not for the reasons I originally thought. I was prepared for the exercise and mental stimulation needs. I wasn’t prepared for how emotionally sensitive they are. At our first puppy checkup our vet warned us that GSDs are the control freaks of the dog kingdom, but I didn’t connect that with how that impacts training and raising them. Looking back, we made SO MANY mistakes, but thankfully she seems to have forgiven us and has the resilience to recover. Good luck with your pup!

@mjr88 Your post is a gift to all of us. Thank you so much for the advice and for reminding all of us that we can hold on to hope.

My husband an I are seniors now and have a dozen dogs between us. Our current boy is our first reactive pup. Even as longtime and experienced dog parents, we were not prepared for the difference reactivity and anxiety make, the emotional journey our little boy is taking, or for the equally emotional journey for the pet parents. (A big thank you to this sub for helping the human on that journey.)

Yesterday we took our pup to the vet for a first appointment after a previous awful appointment, and he was a trooper! He wasn't super happy to be there, but he held it together and coorperated in his care. The feelings of pride I had were as great as if he had won a title or something -- I knew how hard it was for him and how far he had come. I feel like I have learned so much about life from him as well as having much greater insight into what it's like for people to struggle too. Not to be all schmaltzy about it, but he's making me a better person.

I hear echoes of that in your story too.

@bfastpool I totally agree - our pup has made us better people in general, and definitely better pet parents. As hard as it was, I’m kind of glad our first dog was reactive. The lessons she taught us will make us so much better for our next dogs. I’m so glad you and your pup found each other. It sounds like you have a really special relationship.

@mjr88 This is so great to hear - thank you for sharing and for not giving up on her. You’ve done so much hard work and so glad you’re seeing success - it gives us all hope!

@mjr88 Thanks for sharing, really does give us hope.
My dog had a similar timeline to yours and experience and we are just at the part where we can see dogs at a long distance and not lose her shit but can recover very quickly.

The bond too has increased so much and I prob look so goofy on my walks with her but we have fun!

It’s slow progress but happy to hear it worked for you two!

@thebloodqueen I look and sound like a complete lunatic on our walks, so I know exactly what you mean. 😀

In case it helps, the game changer that helped us reduce the distance was moving to BAT training instead of relying strictly on LAT. Being able to make her own choices on distance seemed to make her more confident.

@mjr88 I needed to hear this. We adopted our sweet boy 6mo ago and are also on this journey. He’s the sweetest boy who just wants to be best friends with everybody, but doesn’t realize he’s the obnoxious over active kid that not everybody wants to play with all the time. I’m constantly panicking if he’s living his best life, and every time he has a reactive episode I feel like a complete failure and begin to worry if we made a big mistake. But it just takes time, and I need to be reminded that we don’t get the dog we want, we get the dog we need. I need to make sure I give our boy the grace, and most importantly the time to process! Thank you for your post and some really great tips.

Back