Recommendations for an indoor dog toilet? (current one discontinued)

mike7377

Having an indoor dog toilet has been very helpful for apartment living with our reactive dog. Our current indoor dog toilet is a "piddle place". It relays on packets of an enzyme solution (bio+ treatment) to keep the odor down, allowing it to go for 1 week between cleanings. The product has been discontinued. I have reached out to the company that made it (petsafe), but have not been able to find out what chemicals were in the enzyme solution, or if there are any comparable products on the market. None of the alternatives that I have been able to find have come anywhere close to matching the low price and convenience of our current set up, particularly the machine washable covers.

Anyone have any recommendations either for an alternative enzyme solution or a new dog potty?

Edit:

Dog is 20 lbs. Male but has no problem peeing downwards.

Edit: Information about the Bio+ treatment enzyme solution from the MSDS

Chemical Name
CAS# / EINECS#
Amount
GHS / EU CLP Classification

Water
7732-18-5 / 231-791-2
55-65%
Not Hazardous

Sodium Xylenesulphonates
1300-72-7 / 215-72-7
1-5%
Not Hazardous

Bio-Enzyme
Proprietary
1-5%
Not Hazardous

Fragrance contains: Citral
Mixture 5392-40-5 / 226-394-6
1% 0.2%
Xi R38, R43 Skin Irritant Category 2 Skin Sensitizer Category 1

@mike7377 I am in the same boat - I use the piddle place. Since they still sell the grass pad replacements I just want to find an alternative for the discontinued bio+ treatments. Something like the biocides that Porto potties use but want to make sure it’s friendly to pets and doesn’t make the whole room smell like a Porto potty. I’ll update if I find a solution, please do the same! I wonder why they stopped making it, it’s a great product

@mike7377 I use a wood chips litterbox for my 3lb Chihuahua.

[https://www.mypetpeed.com/?gad=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw8symBhAqEiwAaTA__B-MfNZVQfvfKSMF3XJbeZSk_Q0YJRlgJlDUlsTRHAGpYH4ategIyBoC9tUQAvD_BwE](This is the enzyme digester I use to clean all my pet messes.) This is the enzyme digester I use for all my pet messes. It's expensive but it works.

I'm not sure if you want to deal with how messy wood chips are, but they are inexpensive and the pine soaks up a lot of the odor naturally. My husband built the box out of wood, but it's in our garage so we don't line it with plastic.

@mike7377 I’ve been using the “piddle place” for my 4lb chi for almost 9 years. It is a fantastic product, best out there. I tried several systems and this one was top notch. I wanted a new one, as mine is worn out. I was disappointed to find it’s been discontinued.

Who knows of the second best potty system out there?

@mike7377 I am in this same boat, we had a big stock of the enzyme and spray that we have finally run down, and now realizing that they have discontinued the product! Did you discover any alternatives?

For anyone else who comes upon this thread, it looks like PetSafe is selling this spray which might be a replacement for the enzyme spray, at least.

Edit: I also am ordering this product from Amazon, which some of the reviews say people have used as a replacement for the enzyme that goes inside the Piddle Place, and as a spray replacement.

@markum1972 unfortunately not. after initially suggesting they would help the company totally stopped responding. we have one week of the stuff left and no replacement lined up

Edit: I was able to get the MSDS of the Bio+ treatment from support. It lists the enzymes as proprietary, but at least gives a percentage, and the other ingredients

Overview of other products I am aware of:
  • FreshPatch, DoggieLawn, and rolls of sod from home depot
    • $60/month in winter (inexpensive rolls at home depot in the summer). That is if they can last for two weeks.
    • Have used these in the past
  • Pet loo
    • $40/month for pee pods (3 pods per week $20 for a pack of 7, and $45 every 6 months for replacement grass). Unsure how long a bottle of the cleaner lasts
    • I have had very bad luck with a similar style product in the past. I am also frustrated with the brand for discontinuing the product that was working for me.
  • Weasypet
    • $20/month for replacement bags
    • I have no experience with this brand
  • Porch potty
    • $10/month ($59 for replacement grass every 6 months). Unsure how long a bottle of turftastic lasts.
    • I have no experience with this brand. It seems focused on outdoor products.
  • Hyerpet dog potty with pump
    • The pump on the one we purchased broke almost immediately after our dog started using it. They also included an offer in the box of $3 in exchange for a 5 star review on amazon.
The enzyme treatment for the piddle place was about $30/month full price, but was usually available in bulk at a discount for closer to $15.

@caro65 I really do not understand why the plastic box is $200

Also every automated option seems like a huge mess waiting to happen.

I wonder if the bark potties stink any less than grass

@mike7377 It looks like the enzyme you've been using would never come in contact with the dog, and gets diluted with water? I wonder if Nature's Miracle or similar would work. Looks like $30 would get you a gallon of it.

@caro65 It soaks the grass cover quite a bit when it's added to the reservoir, and the spray version is sprayed on top frequently. The scent is supposedly designed not to repel dogs. Nature's miracle has an extremely overwhelming fragrance so even if I avoided getting it on the cover, I don't think it would work.

Back