Reactive/food aggressive chihuahua now growling and air snapping at toddler

gell

Doobie was a rescue so age is pretty vague, but we’ve had him for about 6/7 years. He used to be a decent lap dog, but as we got busier and he started peeing all the time, he ended up getting ignored a lot. He was fed, walked, taken outside, but not really “loved”. There were two incidents of him weaseling in the fence with the bigger dogs, who he usually gets along with, but he got stuck, and they started growling and biting at him and he was too. This is when the peeing and food aggression really started getting more obvious and regular.

I think it’s my stepfather’s fault, because Doobie used to be a sweet dog, but after getting kicked and yelled at, that’s when he actually started biting. Any adult male human he will seek out to bite. He jumped in a deliver van (with the open space instead of door) and bit the guy, it’s never bad enough to really draw more than a pinprick of blood.

But now it’s problems where my 17mo is just near him, makes a sound, even a softer, not loud sound and Doobie growls and does this helping bark that used to mean self defense. He’s nipped my son, stolen food from him and growled and bit when my son tried to reach for it back. He barks and growls in my sons face, and my son still just wants hugs because he adores animals. And I mean sweet hugs not what k would expect from a toddler.

I think if it didn’t feel like it was my stepfathers fault it would be a really obvious choice. Also, like 2 weeks ago had to put down the cat I’ve had since I was a toddler, and I’m still a bit scarred.

We don’t have the energy or availability to properly train him and go through the protocol. Would it be irresponsible to rehome him? There is a place in the area that takes a lot of older small dogs who have minor behavioral issues. It’s a no kill place. I just don’t know if his problems are caused by his current family or are long term issues that won’t be resolved.

@gell Doobie is being abused, full stop. Your stepfather kicking him? On what planet is that okay?

As to rehoming him, I’m not sure. I guess check with local no kill rescues.

But Doobie is the real loser here. He was fine until he got neglected, and abused for him reacting to the neglect. Sorry, this is borderline criminal and animal abuse. What did everyone expect?

Not trying to sound harsh, but this is such a sad situation for the dog.

@spyderco I’m aware. It has been investigated at my request, and at the cost of my family giving a shit about me, but no further action was taken. I still have to live with them, and they saddled me with the choice. You also may not have read the full post which states I found a no kill shelter for him, but they are basically at the person surrendering’s prerogative as to whether they should be rehired or put down.

I dong know if I laid it out very well. He was still very protective of his people and space and always has barked his brains out, for as long as I’ve known him, when a stranger is in the house, but many men, think landscapers and utility guys, he tries to gnaw through door to bite them. For about 4 years if only happened twice with specific guys. But now he jumped into a still moving delivery truck and bit the guy. He gets off leashes and chains a lot, I think when we aren’t looking he just bites them off, and fir 4 months out of the year you can’t have metal touching the pet outside because it’s triple digits.

The dog being abused is not something I can do anything about. It is an abusive household. I am currently abused everyday.

I am trying to find the best solution so this dog does not kill my child. I don’t have money/time to train, Doobie’s main owners won’t. They also refuse to vaccinate their pets, so a simple skin break could transmit serious diseases, we live in wildlife. I just want to know if this dog has any hope of finding a home, and not seriously injuring anyone.

@gell Yes I read the post and how you’re in touch with a no kill shelter, I do feel like he’s just been set up to fail. Even more so with your response. Can’t keep him chained because the metal gets hot over the summer? How kind. /s

This dog needs help and it may be too late, and you can blame your family for that. I don’t blame you at all, I want to make that clear. But this is not okay. None of this is okay. He may very well not make it because of the way he’s been treated over the years.

@gell He does have a hope of finding a home. He has an abuse record if you lay it out properly and people will recognise that the dog has potential under its abuse

@adrian64 Yes I agree

A very experienced foster. It is just a chance but that is what OP wanted to know. I feel for OP and the dog.. I hope they can rehome this dog because I just see loss and distress in their post and they don't need the mental burden of a BE choice as well

Frankly I am extremely worried about OP and her toddler and not because of a dog that air snaps

Research shows abusive environments are devastating to people... particularly on young toddlers

The impact is life long and can be traced in peoples brains and indeed even in their dna

@gell The dog needs a new home. I would contact the local humane society and not spare the abuse side of the story. They may find him a kindly foster

I am afraid I would also contact local vets even if they are not your own and local dog clubs and widely explain the history of abuse (sod the family) someone may actually respond and know a network or informal rescue

I would also say OP and I know it is not your question that I hope you and your toddler can get out of that environment and your toddler is not seeing abusive behaviour towards the dog or anyone else. The impact of that is immense and life long on even very young children

I am thinking of you and hope you can get safe very soon. The dog with just air snaps is less of a threat to your child than the environment. That threat is life long and immense

@gell What kind of adult male kicks a chihuahua? Has Doobie been to a vet to rule out internal injuries from the physical abuse he's been subjected to, or the attacks from the larger dogs? I really can't blame him for being fearfully aggressive to pretty much anything that's bigger than he is.

Yes, rehoming is the best thing all around, to keep both your child and the poor abused dog safe. Be honest about the abuse when you talk to the shelter, they may be able to find him an experienced home that will give him a better life.

@gell Why get a rescue dog if you aren’t willing to deal with potential rescue behaviours? Have your family tried any training for resource guarding AT ALL?

He started peeing all the time and instead of getting medical treatment from a vet (did your family go to the vet?), he just gets ignored more. Jesus……. Dogs don’t just start peeing all the time for no reason.

Your stepfather physically abused him, traumatised this dog and now the dog is being punished for it’s defensive trauma response it rightfully developed from being abused. Humans can barely recover from trauma without external support and we have the most advanced brains in the animal kingdom. Of course the dog’s aggression got worse when nobody was actively helping it become better?

On top of being a rescue, Chihuahuas are well-known for having higher tendency towards aggression & reactivity. I know not everybody researches breeds but this one is pretty common knowledge I feel? Was it you who chose this dog or your stepfather?

Surrender / rehome to people with experience with abused dogs. Don’t hide the fact that he’s been abused and likely has an untreated bladder or anxiety issue. I really don’t want to dog pile on you (it does seem you are least have empathy for this dog & it’s mostly your step father directly harming it) but as long as you live with your stepfather & as long as you don’t have the time to give your dog emotional care, please don’t get another dog (not even for your son unless you can actually take the brunt of the work it needs & move away from the abusive home one day). Get a goldfish or something. This actually makes me really sad because this is a rescue who went from bad to worse by the looks of it. But I understand you are in an abusive home and am hoping you can escape this situation too, as well as rehoming the dog.

@gell I don’t know any dog that likes being hugged by toddlers, “sweet” hugs or not. Many dogs may tolerate it, but please, PLEASE keep your toddler and your dog separated, especially when there is food involved.

Even without your abusive stepfather, your dog is being set up to fail, and NONE OF THIS is his fault. Poor dog. Please surrender him to a rescue so that he can get the medical attention, love, and care that he deserves.

He may have suffered abuse and neglect in his first home, but he’s now suffering abuse and neglect in his current home.

First thing you need to do is hand him to whatever your equivalent of the RSPCA is. Then you need to get yourself and your toddler out of that abusive environment and into a women’s shelter.

Best of luck. ❤️

Back