Questions about rescuing a heeler mix 1.5-2 years old

praen4you

The rescue has it listed as a heeler mix, 1.5-2 years old, 30-35lbs.

The rescue is telling me that it's a high energy dog, but not your typical 'bouncing off the walls' heeler level energy. They've posted a couple videos and from what I can tell, it looks like the dog is well behaved and plays well with other dogs and humans.

No one knows the history of the dog or if/how she was trained during her puppy stage. Some of my questions are:

- If the dog exhibits some of the less desired heeler traits like nipping at heels, or being not-so-friendly with other people/animals, are those things that can be trained and corrected at this age?

- If she isn't already crate trained, would it be too late now?

- Are heeler mixes typically less energy than pure bred heelers? (I know it would depend on the mix, but since heelers are top of the energy level spectrum I'd assume most mixes would lower the energy if anything?)

I live alone in a one bedroom apartment but I work from home and would have lots of time to spend with her. I've read the constant warnings about bringing heelers into a small space like that but it's not a pure heeler and the rescue is saying she would do alright in my environment (of course it's hard to know if the rescue is being truthful or saying what needs to be said to get me to adopt).

I guess my main questions is, at the age of 1.5-2 years, is it too late for specific types of training / behavioural corrections if they're needed? I would be willing to put in the work myself or get the help of a professional.

@praen4you I have a female Aussie mix that’s 40 lbs (full grown) and looks similar to this dog. 1 bedroom apartment could be ok so long as you plan on going on walks, have fenced in area near where you live or are otherwise willing to allow for exercise daily. In my experience, training these types of dogs is very possible with consistent feedback (praise or negative feedback) and a somewhat set schedule (my dog is 6 and since 1-2 has been ok being home 9 hours while I’m at work but knows schedule is to be let out right before i leave and when I get home). I have fenced in yard which really helps and dog park and walking trails within 1 mile of my house. If you aren’t committed to giving these types of dogs exercise every day, get a different kind of dog.

@praen4you I have a heeler / staffy mix who’s about a year in a half, 40 lbs in NYC. As long as I walk him for an hour-hour and a half in the morning or bring him to the dog park, he’s pretty lazy for the rest of the day, but gets spurts of energy. Then another hour outside at night and play time after dinner in the apartment then he chills out. I’m also wfh most days so am able to play with him here and there. Even at this age as well he’s trained very easily and listens to commands / “no”

Agree with the commentor above about a set schedule too.

@katzlvr Thanks. I wouldn't have any issues with schedule, routine, and time with the dog. My concern is mainly the amount of time needed outside for physical exercise. What you described sounds like a ton, 2hrs+ every day. That would be hard in Canadian winters. I've searched and read older threads on this subreddit and a lot of people say mental stimulation is arguably more tiring for an ACD so you can get away with less physical exercise outside (eg. 1hr per day instead of 2hrs+) as long as it's balanced with mental stimulation inside. Any thoughts or experience with that?

@praen4you I got my ACD when he was around 1. I've had him for just over a year now. We live in a one bedroom apartment and I haven't had any issues. I work from home most days so I usually take him out to play fetch in the morning(30 minutes), then take him on a walk for lunch(15 minutes), and then play after work for like 30-40 minutes. That seems to do the trick for me most days. Some days I don't even take him out at lunch and he's still fine as long as he gets 2 good play sessions in.

As far as it being too late to train, absolutely not. These dogs are so smart and will pick up on things real quick. Just be stern right from the start and you'll be okay. Worst comes to worst you can always take them to classes if needed.

Also, I had mine in a crate when I wasn't home for the first 6 months and then I slowly started leaving him uncrated for longer periods. I've left him home uncrated for 8 hours some days with no issues. Just leave the TV on or something. I think that helps.

@praen4you I have a heeler mix that I rescued at 1 year. He was a stray and didn’t know anything. Not potty trained, crate trained, didn’t know how to play with toys, etc. The great thing about heeler DNA is heelers are incredibly intelligent. I think they can learn anything. They are also very high energy. So that means you need to wear them out both physically and mentally.

What I do for work from home is try to wear him OUT on Sundays. That way he can survive on less exercise during the week. We still go on walks, runs, play fetch, etc. but it’s not as high of a need. Training sessions and puzzle toys work really well for a quick (for you) work day mental exercise. Basically we just survive until the weekend when we can be more active together. I don’t think a small space would be the worst, if you really dedicate time and energy into your pup.

I started to crate train my pup, but he would shred himself to shreds trying to get out. Then I took a video of what he does when I leave the house. He literally lays on the couch. So I gave up on that. Each rescue is different—and I have a suspicion kennels were very negative in my pup’s past. Still doable to train at that age, though. Just depends on the dog.

Good luck!