Questions about flying w a dog and paperwork

tammy59

I'm scheduled to fly to NC from Seattle Dec. 14th and pick up my fur baby. I just read on WA DOH site that I need a certificate of health within 30 days prior of bringing my dog to WA.

Do they check for paperwork at the airport? I'll get the certificate but it will be after 30 days. I guess I'm a little confused. Does anyone have experience with this? I've never flown w a pet.

@tammy59 The airline will ask for the health certificate when you check in. You have to go to a separate counter to check a pet. You will need to have your pet in the carrier so they can weigh them. Most airlines have a 25 pound max limit of dog & bag.
A responsible breeder will have taken your pup to the Vet for a final check up the day of or day before you pick up. They can get the health certificate for you.

@tammy59 The health certificate might be to old for you to fly with. Call the airline and ask. I think it has to be issued no more than 72 hours before the flight.

Not trying to insult you at all but it cant just be a receipt from the vet visit. It has to be an actual certificate the Vet fills out and answers question about the dogs health.

@ayen I'm flying Alaska and it said they don't require a health cert if the dog is in the cabin w me. Which i think is weird. I'm going to call and make sure I read it right. But pretty sure I did.