Question on co-ownership

donnags1964

I currently co-own my girl with her breeder. The agreement was if the breeder deemed her worthy of breeding, she would go on to produce 1 litter of dogs. After, full ownership would return to me.

My breeder is pretty hands off and hasn’t pressured me to show/title. We entered a few conformation shows but took a break due to my girl being a bit timid during judging exam.

My girls 2nd birthday is coming up- I know this would be the appropriate time to complete all necessary health testing (X-rays, genetics,etc).

As a breeder, would you view this untitled/unproven dog as a “wash” and grant the owner full ownership? Especially if there hasn’t been any discussion of future breeding plans?

@donnags1964 Talk to your breeder about this. Now that your bitch is older she may want to try the show ring again. Young bitches can be shy in the ring at times.

Co ownership is something you have to discuss with her. She will explain how she personally handles it. Not every breeder does it the same way.

@donnags1964 That'll depend on your breeder and the breed. Like another person said, it's not uncommon for young bitches to be shy. I have had multiple young dogs grow into confident dogs over time.

@donnags1964 Most breeder prefers to have some titles on their dog before they are bred since their kennel name is tied to it.
I would really recommend talking with your breeder to see what her thoughts are.
If she is shy in the ring, see if you can find a conformation handling class to get your dog ready before competing again.

There's also so many other ways to show what the dog is capable of, fastcat, cgc, trick titles, sport titles and such. Other than conformation titles. Maybe this could be a good way to get some titles while working on her shyness in the conformation ring.

@donnags1964 Curious…how does co-owning work? Are the dogs priced at a lower rate due to the agreement? Not interested in this at all myself. I have a litter of 7 week old goldendoodles currently. Which is why I find myself reading and researching for other puppy related things and have come across a few posts and YouTube videos now mentioning co-owning.

@donnags1964 Yup! Nosework and agility are great. I have golden retrievers and I do conformation with them as well. But they have titles in barn hunt, agility, obdience, rally, dock diving, cgc and Trick titles currently.

There are so many ways to title your dogs now and it's fantastic!
I am planning on doing hunt trials to get some titles since that's what golden retrievers are bred for.
So if your breed has certain purpose, you can do sports that will prove them in their breed traits.

Back