Question for breeders

beaub

So the breeder I’ve been talking to just had a dog give birth on Wednesday!! I haven’t heard from her in a little while, but she said she doesn’t assign dogs to homes until 3 weeks when their personality shines through a bit more. She told me I have a good chance of getting one.
When can I reach out if she doesn’t? I’m sure she’s really busy right now, but I’m so curious to know more! What gets annoying??

@beaub 10 days after whelping unless it is a toy breed. That is when as a breeder I feel I am out of the woods and that everything is going well and puppies are thriving. Unfortunately not all puppies survive as fading puppy syndrome is real. Probably 2 week if toy breeder. 3 weeks is too early to select puppies for people, temperament develops between 4 to 7 weeks, show evaluations are done at 8 weeks. I would look for a different breeder if the puppy choices are done that early. 3 weeks old puppies don't even like people that comes between 3.5 and 4 weeks in my breed and my breed, poodles, are super human focused.

@beaub I know of some breeders who assign puppies pretty early or who choose their keepers pretty early, but it's not the norm. Most show breeders won't have their choices done until 7-8 weeks. Some puppies look great at 4 weeks, but don't pan out in the 8 week evaluations. I don't find personalities really apparent at 3 weeks old. They're just barely toddling around at that time. We do temperament evaluations between 7-8 weeks.

@beaub Rough guess would be to check in with them when the puppies would be about 2 weeks old, just a query of how are things going check and that you are still interested in a possible puppy.

Depending on the breeder and why they are breeding it is possible they might pick a puppy for you at 3 weeks but that one doesn't work out. So let them know you are still interested and see if they are thinking you will get one from this litter. Then keep your fingers crossed.

I would not get your hopes up too high yet, lots of things can go wrong for you still but it does sound like you could be in line.

@beaub There are several red flags here but to give you an honest opinion we need more information. What breed, what health testing has been done, three weeks old is very young to start making picks, do they have a behaviorist involved.

@drsharles Most reputable breeders I know can make their own picks. For one thing they pretty much can choose their likely keepers early and.they don't need a behaviorist. They know their dogs and usually enough about their buyers.

Back