Question about getting a dog as an adult

anojinzouningen

As a kid, I got very lucky I was able to own a dog and love him. When I turned 13, he passed away from old age and I desperately wanted to get a new dog. I never could get a new one because my parents would let me. Now I’m an adult and want to get a dog again, but my partner says it isn’t the best financially right now. I spend most of my day at work and he works 4-5 days a week for most of the morning and afternoon and we live in a ~1,000 sq. ft. 2 bedroom apartment. I’ve considered getting an older dog, but I’m terrified of only having a few years with them and worried about medical bills. I’ve also considered a puppy, but don’t think we’ll be home enough for training and proper socializing. And if we end up needing to move, I’d hate having to rehome them in another couple years. Any suggestions?

@anojinzouningen I'm going to assume you're in your early 20s....

A dog is not likely a great idea for you. First your romanticizing what it was like to have a dog when you aren't responsible for any of the bigger picture items. I just adopted a new dog it cost almost $500 between his adoption and then the necessary items that he needed immediately. I was worried that he might have hip problems so I had an x-ray that was another 4 to $500 and then shortly after that he decided to step on a roofing tack which was another $400 emergency visit. This all happened in the course of 2 weeks. That's not even counting his food and monthly pills! I'm pretty sure I've spent $2,000 in the course of 2 weeks on one dog, I have two of em...

Dogs are a great deal of time. Puppies are a lot more time. When you get a new dog you have to devote more time to them than normal doesn't matter whether they are young or old. After a month or two the amount of time you're required to spend with them for a good life together starts to decline if they are older but it stays really high if they are young.

On a given day when I am finished with work which necessitates at least two breaks due to my dogs, we need to do something whether that is going to the dog park going for a run or a walk.... Something... Not to mention training time.

If you are okay with the financial burden and if you are okay with the demands on your time then it might be worth getting a dog.

Because it sounds like you're on the fence I would suggest you not get a dog until you saved up enough money to be able to take care of the dog regardless of what happens. Then when you're ready I would suggest you get a dog and not a puppy. If you are worried about an older dog not living long enough then get a dog from the shelter who is typically between two to four years old so you will have several years together.

Make sure you get a breed that is suitable to your lifestyle and expectations. You do not want a dog like a German Shepherd or Doberman if you're a couch potato....

@anojinzouningen Have you considered other animals? Through volunteering at the shelter, I’ve recently become a rabbit fan. They are so opinionated and oftentimes strong willed that it’s impossible not to love them. And then there’s my personal favorite small animal - rats. I have 5 currently and couldn’t love them more. They are playful, friendly, and just generally lovable. Perhaps do research into other animals if you don’t have the time for a dog. Small animals (rats, rabbits, mice, etc.) that can be housed together don’t need as much human interaction as a dog does. All animals cost money, though, so if it’s that holding you back it might not be a great time for a pet. I have a $600+ vet bill coming up for one of my rats, they aren’t cheap babies.

@yuli Rabbits absolutely need interaction and preferably another rabbit. They're a lot of work and a lot of cleaning and it doesn't sound like she has the space for them. Finding a vet is sometimes difficult and they get sick very easily and vet bills can run high.

Maybe a cat would be better for OP.

@adrainsmith Yeah, I wasn’t saying that rabbits don’t need time, attention, money, and love. It’s just that if they have a rabbit friend or two, they are okay being left while their person is at work but a dog might not be. I’m the last person to say that small animals are low maintenance pets as I spend three to four hours a day in my room supervising my rat’s out-of-cage time. An hour of that is pretty much solely dedicated to petting one of them because he demands ALL the attention and love.

@anojinzouningen I know how you feel, I spent my twenties longing for a dog after losing our family dog.
I waited until the time was right ; either I was moving too much, or working in an office five days a week. Eventually with Covid, I started working from home full time on the long term, and my partner and I decided it was the right time. We adopted a rescue last year and she makes me so happy. It's definitely a lot of time and effort!

We live an apartment similar to yours, and the space isn't a problem because we walk our dog four times a day. I'm at home with her everyday. We leave her at home alone for up to four hours, for instance if we go out for dinner. But more than that isn't nice for her, so we need to drop her off at my MIL's or at a friend's.

Every night out / weekend away / vacation brings the topic of 'Can we bring the dog ? Can a friend / family member take her for a day/night ?', and it's a lot of planning.
Some dogs can stay home alone during a whole work day. Some dogs can't.

Anyway. It sounds like maybe the timing isn't right for you yet. And you mentioned 'if we move I'd hate to have to re-home the dog' ; in my view if you adopt a dog, you commit to taking care of them for their whole life. Unexpected life events happen, but moving shouldn't be a reason to leave your pup behind !

Back