Purina Pro Plan Bright Mind vs Hill’s Youthful Vitality?

lyndam

I have a mixed breed (Shar Pei with probably Australian Cattle Dog and/or German Shepherd), normally about 45 lbs, presently about 50 lbs. (Long story involving a Labrador dying of lymphoma, cheeseburgers, and semi-irresponsible parenting.)

I've been feeding Candidae Pure Elements limited ingredient, but enough vets (my mom's vet, my Labrador's oncologist, etc) have urged me to go with Hill, Royal Canin, Purina Pro Plan... (Maynard's oncologist: “I am on a merciless crusade to re-educate the public that Purina, Royal Canin and Hills are veterinarian recommened for a reason and do long term feeding trials to prevent stuff like this [the FDA warning about Canine Dilated Cardiomyopathy linked to LID dog foods] from happening and employ veterinary nutritionists. My dogs have always eaten Purina (either Proplan or vet diet like Bright Minds or tummy diet like EN) or Hills science diet any maintenance diet. I think Purina is more palatable.”)

So. Astrid is incredibly smart, and at least 9 years old (I adopted her as an adult in 2011). Everyone that sees her thinks she's 2 or 3, though, and she doesn't have any visible signs of aging. She's incredibly high energy, but doesn't get as much exercise as she'd like (we go on long 1+ mile walks several times a day, and do some "agility-like" work on the walks, but she'd love to romp at a dog park ... But she's been attacked twice by two GSDs at the local dog park, and the dog beach where she feels most secure and can play drama-free, is ~2 hours away :( ).

So. What's the difference between Bright Mind and Youthful Vitality? Any other foods I should be considering? I'm going to be feeding the new (8 week old) Labrador Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy for the first 6 months (it's what he's on now, and being sent home with), then transitioning him to an adult food, but obviously he won't be on a "senior" diet. (Before, Maynard - who died just shy of his 10th birthday - and Astrid were always on the same food...)

@lyndam I've heard a lot of good things about Bright Minds from people who feed it. My senior dachshund is on Eukanuba senior and is doing great on it. In the past I've fed Purina ONE senior and thought it was great for my dogs.I don't have much experience with Youthful Vitaliy, so I can't really speak on that one.

@lyndam I can’t speak to Youthful Vitality, but I put my 8yr Ridgeback on Bright Minds and it was like it took two years off him (and Ridgebacks average 10-12, so him acting like a 6yr is great). He perked right up, started demanding more walks, and generally being a pest again. 😆

Back