Puppy will not settle

justalittleone

Hi, I have a 6 month old miniature poodle, intact male (he’s not old enough to get fixed yet not sure if this matters) but I’m struggling with his energy level. I am not sure what I am doing wrong here I’ve searched countless threads and I can’t seem to find anyone encountering my specific issue. For a little context on his schedule, I WFH full time but often have meetings during the day so I can’t be with him all the time. We typically wake up at 7 am, and do a 30 min walk, a little early am training session or light play before breakfast at 8 on the snuffle mat. After that he usually goes in his play pen for some solo play while I work. His first break of the day is at 10 am I take him out for a pee break and some light play then he’s down for an enforced nap until 12 then up again for another 30 min walk and lunch at 1. Then back in the play pen until 3, up again for pee break then second nap of the day until 5 and dinner at 6. Well typically play and do a training session in the evening. With that being said he will not self settle. I have tried tethering training, he does okay when tethered to me but only if I’m walking about, the second I sit down he starts whining. When tethered to an object it’s even worse I mean chewing on the lead and crying. It’s hard to play with him he’s jumping all over you in your face and biting he has energy ALL the time and the only time I can get him to settle is for his enforced naps. I’d like to get to a point where I can sit down and relax after work and not have to be interacting with him constantly as he doesn’t know how to play gently and it can be quite painful at times with him jumping on you and biting your hands and when I let him free roam in a smaller supervised space he won’t even play with his toys he’s always getting into things he shouldn’t. I feel bad putting him in his play pen after work because he’s constantly going from his pen to crate all day when I work. Has anyone encountered this or found anything to helpful with teaching a pup to relax?

@justalittleone This sounds like a pretty normal puppy. If you need some time to chill and he isn't interested in toys, giving him his dinner frozen in a Kong, a puzzle, scattered through a snuffle matt, or rolled up and then knotted in a towel can get great activities good for enrichment and owner downtime. More enrichment will help mentally tire him out too (so things that you said you are doing like sniffing on walks and training are great help as well).

If you want to try doing 'settle' training, Kikopup has a huge set of free videos on YouTube which are a great starting point.

when I let him free roam in a smaller supervised space he won’t even play with his toys he’s always getting into things he shouldn’t

Puppy proofing the area he is in so there is less he can get into should make a difference here. It will stop him from making bad habits chewing, etc things he shouldn't and mean less work supervising for you.

@joyfulnoiseginnifer Thank you so much, I wasn’t sure if this was normal or something I wasn’t doing as this is my first pup, I’ll deff try the Kong he likes snuffle mats and treat puzzles but they typically don’t last less than 5 mins and I did try the towel trick but he gives up on the towel and loses interest. As for his settling I’ll look into the videos you suggested and hopefully I see some improvement!

@justalittleone Freezing the Kong really helps to slow it down. I have a set of Outward Hound puzzles and have frozen food in them as well to make it more difficult/make longer. If they lose interest adding some smelly food (like cheese) can help with motivation. Licking and working to get the food is enrichment so it's a win win!

Kikopup's videos are great for settle training. She has everything from introducing the concept to your dog through to settling in different locations.

All the best!

@justalittleone I have a standard Poodle(2 years old) and I heard the minatures can be a little loco.. but what puppies aren’t?

Poodles are smart- super smart- and if you allow them to get away with xyz and dictating xyz they will do it- just like a child. That said, if you lay down the law and are consistent- you will get a beautifully obedient adult like I have. They pick up cues very easily and are quick to adapt. That said, you have a puppy and it gets better.

Regarding their smarts- you need to do way more mental stimulation. What does training look like for you?
When we play games with our dog like fetch.. tug etc.. I do lots do impulse control to tire out his brain. So asking for a sit before throwing the toy and releasing on command. With a puppy you would do it on a harness and a traffic handle. Ask the dog to sit.. throw toy.. release dog when it’s land.
When you play tug, perfect time to teach out/drop it etc. let the dog win tho to build confidence. Every game should have impulse control and obedience. Teaching a dog is best done through play as it’s fun for both of you.

Regarding biting- my puppy had a rough biting phase but that was during outdoor play. We had to nip in that in the bud and we did it through a prong as that was the safest way for him to get the point.

You need to teach your dog that biting is no bueno.

Poodles learn so fast and they do want to please- you just need more clarity in your training and of course.. change your training plan a bit.
Even walks should have obedience incorporated in them. Teach them to sit before every walk, work on heel and release.. etc.

Since they are smart and need stimulation,
Maybe teaching them nose work would be something they are interested in.

I actually love the energy of the little ones and I’ve even seen videos of one hunting/retrieving with an a older man lol. The sky is the limit. Even agility would be fun.

But again.. puppy brain.
So impulse control and work that brain to tire them out.
And of coarse- nip that biting in the bud.

@justalittleone More naps and I second taking your dog out for something more “intense”. I used to take my dog on walks during the day when he was young too but then I realized when I started his off leash training that after letting him run around sniffing and coming when called (not much longer than our neighborhood walks) made him wrecked enough the rest of the day. Also you’ve got a puppy so time is on your side

@justalittleone Unless I’m forgetting or misreading something he gets two enforced naps that totals 4ish hours? He can def sleep more. Also you should train the place command to help him learn how to settle down. I used to keep my dogs cot next to my desk when he was a puppy while he wore a slip lead and he would earn his breakfast that way. Sorry if you mentioned that you already do this I need to work on my memory

@justalittleone It’s up to you if you want to start fresh. If you want to use what you already have just start by guiding your pup to the bed while you’re watching tv or something. And feed him some kibble every time he gets on it. Then when he gets used to it don’t give him kibble until he stay on it for a couple of seconds and just keep going for more time from there.

@thriftypineapple Yes! He makes friends on walks and frequents my friends who have a small dog however their dog is a little older and does get sick of the play quite fast. He’s just finished up his puppy shots so I’m finally ably to enroll him in group classes so I hope that helps!

@justalittleone I would highly suggest kennel training and ditching the playpen. A normal puppy should:

Go out first thing in the am. Go back in kennel with a couple pieces of food. Have some time for yourself in the am. Get the puppy used to that.

1-2 hrs later (say 7am), take the puppy out for 10-15 mins training, 15-20 mins play. Puppy gets water, breakfast in kennel, and is in the kennel until like 11. If the puppy is jumping on you, ignore him. Give him nothing, no reprimands, no response, nothing. The minute he stops, mark and reward it and move on with what you are doing.

11 - next 30 minute interaction. Training, walk, play, back in kennel with lunch.

3 - rinse, wash, repeat.

6 - play/walk or training, food in kennel.

Out before bed. That’s it. That’s all they really need. This should go on for 4-6 months. As the dog learns how to interact with you and in the home, you expand the time the dog is out of their kennel. You don’t need any toys in there, no bedding, nothing. Too much of a chance that they will eat something. Put the kennel in a main room so they can see and hear the goings on. If you can give your dog 4 30 minute sessions a day of quality time, that is incredible and plenty. Your dog will settle in a kennel vs a playpen eventually. Never put the dog in the kennel without some food reward. Always feed them in there with the door closed. You’ll be so much happier with life in a month.

Back