Puppy Schedule - looking for some advice!

betho

Hi All,

My husband and I are getting a puppy in the next month and I am trying to nail down a schedule now. It will be my first dog, but not my husband's. He grew up with dogs and has had them his whole life. I work full time during the day & my husband works full time at night, meaning he will be home all day, and I will be home all night. I made a rough draft schedule and just looking for some input on it. We plan on doing doggie daycare 2 days a week once the pup is old enough, and we will also be signing up for puppy classes as well which will probably be one night during the week or on Saturday's. During the weekends we plan on being very active and taking the pup out with us to do all the things. Weeknights are a bit harder to do that, but will also be easier once winter is over and it isn't dark out at 4:30pm. TIA!!!

Here is the schedule:
  • 5am - L wakes up & takes Obi out to go potty & 1 or 2 mile walk
  • 5:45am - L will feed Obi Breakfast in his crate and get ready for work - let him out after he eats to hang out/play
  • 6:40am - 7 am - L takes Obi out to go potty again before leaving for work/quick walk
  • 9am - H gets home from work & takes Obi out for a good walk & potty
  • 11 am - H takes Obi out to go potty
  • 1/2ish - H feeds Obi 1/2 cup of food and takes out to go potty
  • 3ish H takes obi out to go potty
  • 5:30pm - L gets home from work - H & L take Obi out for long walk/play time/training time
  • 7pm - everyone eats dinner
  • 7:30pm - take Obi out after dinner/clean up to go potty
  • 7:30pm - 10pm - playtime/cuddle time/training time
  • 9:30pm - L takes Obi out before “bed”
  • 11:30pm - H takes Obi out before he leaves for work
  • 1:30am - L takes Obi out to go potty
  • 3:30am - L takes out Obi to go potty

@betho Just make sure puppy is getting time to rest. After a couple nights you might scale back the overnight potty breaks if you’re seeing success. I like to give puppies short bursts of activity followed by crate time so they learn to settle on their own (and “hold it” in the crate). The 1-2 mile walks may be quite a stretch for a young one, assuming you’re getting pup at 8ish weeks.