Puppy potentially needing surgery. Getting overwhelmed thinking of his aftercare

d3ottawa

This is mostly just me getting some pent up worries out…

In the past few months our 1 and a half year old puppy has dislocated his right elbow and wrist. After the second injury our vet took X-rays and initially thought he may have early signs of arthritis. They sent his X-rays to radiology, who determine that, while he does not show signs of arthritis, his ulnas in both front legs look like they have not grown long enough, causing him to overcompensate and being more susceptible to injury. They have sent the X-rays onto the orthopaedic surgeon in our area to see if they can perform surgery to help correct, and we are now waiting to hear back from them this week.

While I am massively relieved he does not have early signs of arthritis, and that there may be something we can do to help him, I find myself constantly worried about what this surgery means for him. The surgery involves breaking both of his ulnas, encouraging them to grow longer and connect properly to the joints.

I’m worried about so much! How will he go to the bathroom while he’s in so much pain and incapacitated. How will we curb his energy when he’s partially recovered but still can’t run/move around properly? How will we stop him being sad and depressed? He’s already had so many months of not being able to play properly. How long does it take for broken bones to heal?

But I trust, if this surgery can help him, it will ultimately be best for him, and allow us to give him the best life…he’s only young, he’s got lots of fun years ahead, and it getting the surgery will mean he will likely get these injuries over and over again.

Some pictures of my sweet boy:

@d3ottawa He might need doggie diapers for a while depending on what the vet recommends for his recovery. They can also prescribe calming medications or sedatives to ensure that his energy stays low and he doesn't harm himself.

To prepare, make sure he's comfortable in a crate. Crate training is such a vital part of a dog's life so if you haven't done so, start immediately. His crate is going to be his home for the majority of his recovery.

@livelifeliving33 We crate trained him when we got him. Recently we removed it but he still sleep in his playpen, which is about double the size of his crate. Thanks for this though, we should be able to reintroduce it to him before his surgery

@d3ottawa What a cute pup! I have to say you are doing an excellent job caring for him. He is very lucky to have a pet parent like you. The fact that you worry just shows how much you love him, which is wonderful.

Bones actually don't take all that long to heal, usually it's the soft tissues in a break that keep the limb from fully functioning for a long time. Even a few months of limited activity will be so beneficial, as you said yourself. That, and dogs are usually pretty happy just being near their human and chewing on a good toy. He doesn't need to be running around at Mach speed to be happy, so don't worry too much about his quality of life during his rest period.

Hope everything goes great for your boy!

@d3ottawa Glad to see the crate recommendation and that you will reintroduce him to it.
Leash inside the house will also stop his ability to be too active when you are with him
He’s very cute!

@7trees That’s a good tip, thank you. He’s definitely the type of dog that wants to follow you around the house, so he’s used to being close by. Thankfully he’s also gotten used to a bit of a more relaxed lifestyle with his recent injuries and already been on limited activity, so it won’t be a massive adjustment!

@d3ottawa We did 2 knee replacements for our girl.

Some of the energy was curbed by the pain and pain meds, so she was much more willing to relax during that time than she normally is.

Wa also borrowed a playpen from family (basically a self-supporting indoor fence) so her movement was restricted and she was kept separate from the other dogs. We put pee pads down in the corner so she could take care of business if she had to.

They make an inflatable cone (looks like a big donut) that was much more comfortable for her and allowed her to get in and out of here kennel easier and to feel less awkward when moving around.

It’s a difficult time for both the dog and the parents, but you can get through it. Your baby will appreciate it in the end, and you will as well.

I got to experience her best zoomies yet this past weekend, with her running around for about 5 minutes straight. This would not have been possible before, and it made it all worth it.

Good luck! You can do this!

@d3ottawa I just did TPLO surgery on my very young and very active Standard Poodle. I had all the same fears you have but I knew that she was in a lot of pain without the surgery, even if she didn’t always show it. Dogs are hardwired to not show pain, especially higher drive/energy breeds will just power through pain.

I’ll be completely blunt, but these past few weeks after surgery have been hell lol. My dog feels WAY too good and isn’t consenting to leash walks only and no running/jumping/playing. She used to have free run of an 80 acre farm and her world is now my living room. The vet will send you home with a bunch of anti-inflammatories and pain meds to keep your dog as pain free as possible. They’ll also send sedatives and I strongly recommend giving them per vet instructions. With the meds prescribed by the vet, my dog has had no issues with pain or going to the bathroom. So far no depression either but I make sure she has plenty of food enrichment toys and things to chew on.

I’d also recommend looking into physical rehab. For my dog’s surgery, she’s on strict crate crest for 2 weeks with only bathroom breaks on leash. Once the 2 weeks are up, then we can start rehab. That’ll at least get your dog out of the house and providing mental and physical stimulation. Also has the added bonus of helping to prevent future injuries!

Hope the surgery goes well for your pup!

Edit: I’ll also add that my dog having TPLO surgery was a huge emotional hurdle for me to overcome as well. This dog was supposed to be my healthy, well bred purebred to do all the fun sports with (conformation, hunt tests, etc). With her TPLO surgery came the diagnosis that her condition is genetic and she WILL need the other knee operated on in the future. I just keep telling myself that all these surgeries are temporary and to take each day as it comes. Thankfully dogs are very resilient and just enjoy hanging with their owners.

@d3ottawa Sweet boy. Don’t worry, it will all turn out OK. It is good that the surgeon can fix his issues with surgery. Think of it as a one time problem after which he will lead a long healthy life.

Dogs can tolerate much more pain compared to humans. And he will definitely be on pain management medication after.

Back