Puppy on adult food

audentio

My border collie puppy is 6 months and the vet put her on Hills Food Sensitivities Z/D due to some issues with itchy skin and shedding. We have narrowed it down to chicken protein and potatoes, with potatoes being more likely.

The food is not specialized for puppies so I asked the vet tech if I should feed more or how that worked. She was pretty vague and said the amount (2 1/4 cups) is just a guide and to feed more if she seems hungry. Pup IS a tad underweight but I am super confused on feeding at this point. I want to make sure she growing as she should. I don't want to switch food again at this point. This is her 5th food already.

@audentio If you need further clarification, call back your vet's office and have them ask your vet. They should be totally fine with you seeking clarification.

@audentio For weight gain in dogs, it's pretty easy, feed more food.

When dealing with weight loss, yes, you need to know the kcal/cup or kcal/kg, but for weight gain, you just feed a bit more. If you don't notice a change in a few days, feed a bit more.

Active puppies can eat QUITE a bit more than recommended due to individual variation and energy level. It's difficult to overfeed an active breed puppy.

Back