Puppy ears?

alfie13

Hello!

We adopted an ACD mix puppy about a month and a half ago. He is 5 months right now and teething a little bit.

My question is, when we got him at 4 months-ish, his ears stood up perfectly. Almost as soon as we brought him home, they started drooping. Now they are consistently pretty droopy, getting more or less erect with excitement (tee-hee!) but never fully pointed. The people we adopted him from said he might be part Catahoula.

I know this is normal when teething/growing, but I feel like they've been droopy for a long time. Of course, I love him anyway, but I really love pointed ears and am curious if they will ever come back. We spoke to the vet and he said there is, of course, no guarantee just because they were pointy before.

What are your experiences with young ACD mixes and pointy ears?

Bonus: Pics of Orin

First day we brought him home

Love the giant ears

Him now, with his droopy gremlin ears

He's got a great smile :)

@alfie13 Our kelpie has similar ears, it makes more room in the cranial cavity. She's a genius. For example, she can calculate shortest path to a ball in the water; assess swimming abilities, and defensive capacities, of other dogs in range of the ball in order to determine if they will reach the ball before she can get to it. If she can't beat them to the ball then she stands by the dog's owner to wait for delivery of the ball.

In addition, she has clearly demonstrated her disdain for pointy ears by "convincing" larger pointy ear dogs (German Shepard Dogs, Dobermans, Huskies) that lying on their back and submitting to her is the correct and appropriate behavior. She does not do this with Labradors, Bull Terriers, or Rottweilers.

TL;DR pointy ears are over rated.

Back