Puppy born 9 days after the rest of the litter

holywave21

Hello all! I hope this is the right place to post this, but my sister in law recently adopted a puppy and the breeder told her that the pup was born 9 days after the rest of her litter. My sister in law didn’t ask any follow up questions but I’m baffled. Google is devoid of answers. How is this possible? Does this mean the sire was different? I imagine this means they didn’t use a breeder who was working with a vet through the pregnancy, or maybe they just couldn’t afford an ultrasound? The whole thing raises some red flags so I was hoping I could get some insight from y’all.

@ron351ne Because they’re lying about this puppy, so what else are they lying about? Either that or their so grossly incompetent that you also want to steer clear

@holywave21 We have a litter at the moment where the last puppy was born 36 jours after 1st puppy. We had had an xray prior to whelping which said 8 to 10 puppies. The first puppy was delivered about 6am a few days later. Puppies 2 through 7 arrived over next few hours, but 7 wasn't 8, let alone 9 or 10. So vet said to bring her in the next day as she was eating/drinking and seemed comfortable and puppies were all feeding well. So we took her to vet next day and another xray found 1 puppy still inside. Vet gave her a calcium shot and a hormone shot, sent us away and said if puppy not delivered by next morning we would need to bring her back for a c-section. Puppy was born 45 min later, a total 36 hours after 1st. Puppy was small, but survived to be a lovely little dog. So labour delays can happen but 9 days seem extraordinary!

@momof3teengirls Yes ,I’ve also had a healthy pup delivered by surprise 36 hours after the initial birth. And same bitch delivered one after 24 hours too, healthy and without incident. But nine days seems improbable.

@holywave21 I’ve had a litter where I thought mom was done, and hours later, she started back up and pushed out her last baby. Ultrasounds just seem to confirm a pregnancy, and X-ray can give you a guess at what number—but they don’t always show the accurate number of pups. 9 Hours would be easily possible—but 9 days is suspect. My parents, grandparents, and great aunts all bred too, and I have NEVER heard of a pup come over a week later. Now, that just not what I have ever experienced or heard of…but that doesn’t mean I know it isn’t possible. It just really sounds like it should not be possible from the best of my knowledge. If a pup was retained—the mother would have some medical distress I would assume. What I have seen happen is that if one is younger in gestation—it gets born at the same time, just premature to the rest, and it is a complex raising if it makes it. Now, I would more likely think IF this pup is actually 9 days younger than it’s littermates, it could be that the pup was taken in by a surrogate mother for one reason or another—sometimes a dog will not care for a pup or the mom dies…and if you have another dog with pups, or know of another dog that has a litter in your network of breeding friends, I’ve seen people take on a pup or two from another litter.

@133mwaymire A dual sired litter is not a second pregnancy. The mother ovulates in one batch, but multiple sires can fertilize the eggs, resulting in puppies born at the same time from different fathers.

It is still one pregnancy. They are still born during one labor (even though there can be breaks in the labor, it is stilll one “event” of labor)

Back