Puppy aggression-- long post

savedbygrace559

Hey y'all! Sorry in advance for the long post. We got our pup at 9 weeks and he is about to hit five months. We've noticed some behavioral changes in the last month or so that I really don't like. Noting that we decided against the six week training program after further research that used an e-collar. We're now getting him started with one-on-one training after memorial day. ANYWAY-- sudden food aggression. Started slow-- when we first got him, I would give him his food and then as recommended to us, take a handful of kibble from his bowl and handfeed it to him and he didn't seem to mind this. Of course now others are saying that sticking your hand in their bowl is a no lol I did lots of talking to him while eating and petting him to avoid food aggression. He then started to ignore me while I tried to hand feed him some kibble while he ate and only EVENTUALLY eat it from my hand. Didn't mind me being near him during feeding. Then a few weeks ago, my fiance got close to him and spoke to him while eating and he let out a low growl. It reoccurred over the next few days. We obviously don't want to eliminate the growl because in the correct circumstances, that is how he needs to be able to communicate. We moved his feeding station to a different spot in the house. I've continued talking to him a bit while he eats and throwing a tasty snack in his bowl while he's eating (trying to create a positive association with us being around during feeding and help him understand that his food is NOT in danger).

Ty if you have read this far. Then, I got a low growl (mouth closed) the other day while he was just laying and I crouched down on the carpet to pet his head. Didn't like it, it was short. He was only exhibiting this behavior over the food originally and we were/are addressing it. Making mental notes. Then in spurts, he's started doing it over sticks etc. while playing outside the last week. Well this morning, my fiance went to take a sharp stick out of his mouth and he whipped around and bit him in the stomach. He is a true landshark ALMOST 24/7. Lot of nipping/biting while playing-- we do all of the redirect, replace etc. for hours if we have to. He's just a pup and wants to have fun! We are all learning. However, this behavior/protectiveness has got to go and I know it'll be easier now that he is still young. Advice on what to do? I know the training will be extremely helpful with overall discipline, but I don't want him to continue to nurture and develop this aggression/guarding.

He's a great dog and we adore him. We have so much fun. Just really don't like what we're seeing. TYIA for any advice!! :)

@savedbygrace559 Your trainer should be able to give you tips on the guarding. That is definitely behavior you want to nip in the bud. There may be some simple fixes and boundaries you can put in place. Also, your pup is young, so this may be more easily trained out than it seems.

My girl was super bitey as a puppy. I really wondered if she’d grow out of it or if she’d turn aggressive. I still have scars on my hands. But she has never done the resource guarding. One time she did - she had gotten hurt one day, sprayed by a skunk the next, and then I had the audacity to try to take her bully stick away from her, her one joy in life 😂

Let us know what your trainer says!

@august99 Thank you! I am so hoping I didn’t totally screw him up by trying to hand feed “some” from the bowl when we first got him. Excited to work with the trainer. I imagine after the skunk incident she had had enough lol Ty and will post after we begin with the trainer!

@savedbygrace559 Putting his food down and then taking part of it away is a cue for his food aggression I suspect.

If you handfeed you should start with just food in your hand. Make him work for it, there shouldn't be a "free food" resource to guard. Food only comes from you and your hand.

Otherwise if you put his food down in a bowl leave him alone with it and do not disturb/pester him during feeding.

His behaviour seems to be early resource guarding (resources beeing: food, toys, space/territory and attention/social interaction).

Maybe have a look at Leerburgs pack structure, you need to learn how to show him gently (by good leadership - in his eyes - not yours) where his place in your family is.