Protective dog, why?

leigh54

I have been boarding an unspayed black lab mix (about 7 years old) for 2 weeks, who just ended her heat cycle a few weeks ago and her personality has shifted to more calm and loving. However, we had a friend stay over for the night and the dog immediately jumped into the bed with her and snuggled up to her legs and looked at me to let her stay. I put a blanket over the pup and then she started growling and showing her teeth.

She did this to both me and my partner (m/f) and quite frankly she looked pretty scary haha.

I’m curious if this is some sort of protective behavior she has learned from her home. The owner does have a daughter about 13 years old so now I’m concerned that the dog protects the daughter from something.

The owner seems fishy as she lied about the dog being spayed and something really seems off about the whole situation. Anyways, thought I’d outsource for any advice.

@leigh54 Putting the blanket on her may have been something she perceived as intimidating, dogs don’t like to be covered. It’s possible that the 13-year old has been allowed to mess with her too much so now she’s afraid of being messed with.

Right when the bleeding ends is when they’re most fertile so she could be more irritable as a result. And she could be resource guarding your partner. I don’t know how much longer you have with her but it’s a good idea to treat her like a reactive dog. Don’t pet her unless she asks to be pet. Be careful you don’t stare her down. Use treats to coax her into moving off of furniture. Periodically call her and give her treats during the day so that she’s primed when you need to call her to get her to move. If she’s resource guarding a person, have the person get up and walk away, then use treats to get the dog to move off of the couch or bed. Don’t sit down next to her if she’s already on a couch or bed, coax her off with a treat first.

@p4m3l4 Thank you for the feedback.

She has not been resource guarding when it comes to food or sitting next to us and she enjoys a good cuddle. However, we gave her a bone once and she became ravenous and aggressive and would not let us anywhere near her. Needless to say we don’t have any bones out anymore.

She likes being wrapped in a blanket almost all the time as well. However, what you’re saying seems to be spot on as she’s seemed cautious at times.

Overall it feels like she is much more comfortable with us than her home life. She seems to be at ease with us in situations where we can tell she may be startled or protective at her home where she may be excessively messed with.

My concern was that the 13 year old is protected by the dog and there’s some sort of abuse happening. However, it does make sense that she’s just having her personal space breached too often at home.

Thanks again for your advice and for shedding light on other reasons.

@leigh54 Often children playing with the dog is something we don’t see as abusive, but from the dog’s perspective is scary. And you never know whether the owner is using a more aversive training method. With the blanket being something she’s normally been ok with, then I think you’re right and it is protectiveness instead of reacting to the blanket. But the response to that is similar, you get a treat and ask her to come to you instead of guarding the person.

@leigh54 Depending on how long after the heat cycle this happened, it could have been maternal aggression. This usually happens between 4 and 9 weeks after the heat. Even without pregnancy, females create pregnancy hormones which is also causing the extreme attachment and cuddliness during that time. Some even designate a toy or a human as their "puppy" and will nurture and defend them.