Preparing to a G shep puppy, but reading stories on this subreddit made me anxious

nitro2

Hey, I'm planning on getting a g-shep (male - full black) been prepping for over a year now. But hearing these stories about puppy blues and depression and tears, it's making me feel I can't do this.

For context this isn't my first experience with puppies, Growing up we had various litters to raise, Daschunds, Beagles, Had rescue dobermans and some weird breed that looked like a corgi sized wolf (no idea what breed it was). I remember it not being too hard but I did have the help of a family.

But those were family dogs, and this puppy I'm getting is going to be my own, I did a bunch of research on the breed and seems G-sheps are one of the better dogs to train. (was origionally gonna get a husky but reading up that went out the window quick!)

But now I'm wondering if I'm going over my head. In an ideal world I'd buy an adult, but with a G-shep, they're a big dog and I don't want to take the risk of getting a badly trained dog that may bite someone, and Also Male g-sheps tend to stick to one person only, so I'd be trying to fill some really tricky shoes.

Am I just over-thinking, are they many G-shep puppy owners with advice, I just want to be a good owner, I know it's a lot of work, (I work from home so I'll be there 24/7 for em) and I was prepared, but then I read stories of people locking themselves in bathrooms, screaming and crying, and I wonder if I remember my childhood puppies being fun to be all wrong!

TL:DR, Wanting a G shep puppy, - not first time with dogs/puppies, but Scared and Anxious I can't do it,

@nitro2 I have a GSD turning 1 year next month! I did so much research online and every single thing my puppy did made me anxious that a negative imprint could be left in her brain. After about 3 weeks of hanging out with her as close to 24/7 as possible, I did get puppy blues. It felt harder than handling a human baby and I was wondering why the heck we had her at all. I felt like surrendering her to someone who wouldn't have doubts. I am way more relaxed now.

I think the utmost important thing is there's all this info out there, but you don't need to use all of it ALL the time. GSDs are insanely smart, mine surprises me every day. (she learned how to run on walls.......)

One thing I'd totally train out in earlier age is jumping on strangers. She squeaks and jumps so excitedly when people come over she used to pee herself! Also beware boredom nipping/destruction. Get a couple different types of toys to find their favorite and keep interesting things like Kongs to prevent your stuff getting ruined. Otherwise, GSDs are angels and imo I don't regret getting her despite her being a pain in the butt sometimes(a lot.)

@regmer I agree. With mine, I actually had to train the command up, before he got down. I would say up, and pat my shoulders, then praise, and then step back and push him down gently while saying down, and I would treat only in the down command. Got it really quick.

@nitro2 Hi! We got our first gsd this year (a male) and he is hard work with the teething but we quickly worked out frozen carrots and ice really help on that side.

I think as long as you start training him from the off (we had "sit" and "down" mastered in a week) you should be fine.

Im sure if you've done your research you know the breed takes a lot of work and as long as your expecting that (they will take over your life basically for the first few weeks) there shouldn't be any surprises. Read up a lot on dog body language so you can guess what he's trying to tell you - for example a wagging tail doesn't always mean happy!

Don't get me wrong I get frustrated with ours but in the same way I get frustrated with any one else from time to time - people expect dogs to be perfect but they have a personality so this will never be the case!

Hope this helps :)

Back