Please help with dog food for Lab/Basenji mix

canuckster

Hello all,

I am new to this sub and looking desperately for help. We’ve adopted a 1-2 y/o what appears to be lab/basenji mix. He is a rescue dog. We were told he is lab/heeler mix, but after having him for about a month it became apparent he is basenji mix. He looks like one, acts like one, very intelligent, gentle, etc. Simply a super dog. However, the problem comes with feeding him. He is an extremely picky eater. When we got him, we would boil chicken for him (no bone), mix with rice, potatoes, veggies, and all the food we eat. He was on meds and we wanted to take it easy first 10 days. He loved the food and loves everything we eat, but absolute refuses to eat dry food (apparently basenjis have this issue). We tried sooo many different food. Cheap, expensive, farm/family businesses made, popular brands, and none seem to work. At pet clinic we were told to experiment and the he would not starve himself and eventually eat. He does, but only not to die. He lost little weight and now we noticed little more shedding (none before on home food). He is super smart and I suspect he doesn’t want to eat dry food because he knows its bad for him. However, we don’t know what’s good for him. I can’t make him a 3 course full cooked meal everyday while meeting his nutrition needs. I also can’t keep buying bags of dog food and take it to a shelter after he refused to eat it. Tried samples and also no-no. What do I need to feed him? Please help!

Edit:Grammar

@canuckster I can certainly help with a raw diet. It’ll take a bit of prep but with dog that small it’s super easy. I don’t have anything to give but that. A raw diet can be the best diet for many dogs but it’s not for everyone. Many dogs who refuse to eat will chow down a raw diet. The same goes for cooked diets but that nutrition is more complicated.

@canuckster If only has to be frozen for 3 weeks if it’s wild caught. But do what you feel is best. Just make sure you cut up whatever meat you have before you freeze. Defrosting is so annoying lol. I hope your furry friend feels better soon. Also keep in kind that you want as much variety as possible because dogs can become allergic to a certain protein if they have is consistently for too long. Good luck!

@canuckster If only has to be frozen for 3 weeks if it’s wild caught. But do what you feel is best. Just make sure you cut up whatever meat you have before you freeze. Defrosting is so annoying lol. I hope your furry friend feels better soon. Also keep in kind that you want as much variety as possible because dogs can become allergic to a certain protein if they have is consistently for too long. Good luck!

@canuckster Well if meat is left in the freezer and it’s unopened it’ll be fine so long as it’s never unsealed. Freezer burned meat isn’t rotten or unhealthy, it just doesn’t taste good. It’s perfectly fine for dogs. If you meant defrosting, keep in mind that dogs have a digestion system built for scavenging so you could feel raw meat that’s sat for 12 hours at room temp. But that part is up to you.

@canuckster Why not feed him a home made diet? I make my own dog food. Try posting at r/rawpetfood. Most raw recipes can be lightly cooked if you're not comfortable feeding raw. The diet I feed my dogs is complete and balanced and meets all their nutritional needs. My dogs love it and are very healthy. It's cheaper for me to make than a high end kibble. If you can feed yourself, you can feed a dog. It's not rocket science.

edit:typo

@refei Will cross-post on that sub. Again, home-made food is great, but he is not a mutt I had growing up that ate everything, never had any vaccination, and died old. I don’t know how to balance nutritions for dog-food-mix. Sure I can do an extensive research, but I can’t believe there is nothing breed specific (may be) out there. Thanks for quick reply.

@canuckster You'll get the percentages on the sub. A lot of smart raw feeders over there. If you trust them no need for extensive research. I rotate between 5 proteins and mix in different veggies. My dogs love the variety and it helps keep them eating. Neighbors had a very picky eater. They'd add a little of their dinner to the dog's raw meal as a flavor enhancer. As long as she got something they were eating she'd clean her bowl.