Play or Panic? Do I need to keep my dog and puppy seperate or is this doing more harm than good

triin

This is about Quincy (Border Collie - 10 mths) and her new sister Pepper (Old English Sheepdog - 9 weeks).

So currently when I'm in work, my two are left seperated. This is just while Pepper is small cos Quincy is super energetic and can get a bit carried away. I have a small fence/gate seperating them, so they can sniff through it and interact without physically touching.

Earlier I put them in and noticed some behaviours that have me a little nervous. I'm hoping I'm being just another paranoid puppy parent but I'd rather figure it out now than risk something happening.

I was watching them earlier when Pepper began whining/howling (anxiety normally passes after a few mins). Quincy started barking/growling and pulling at the fence. She had her butt in the air and front down (play bow style) but there was serious barking and growling going on. She was also lightly pulling on the fence between them (definitely not full strength but still tugging). Pepper didnt take much notice and just sat a few steps back, rolled on her belly once or twice then walked around and had a nap. At this point Quincy got bored and went doing her normal stuff.

Note - outside, they seem to get on. Q does her own thing and will run back, tap P with her nose and then keep going. They played a bit earlier but it was mostly Q bowing and then pushing P on her belly.

Should I be worried? Is this Quincy trying to play or is there aggresion issues I need to start working on? Ive never really heard her growl before and I'm terrified of something happening.

@meehan8381 Is that good or bad? Like is she frustrated cos the barrier means they cant play or because the barrier means she cant get at pups for worse reasons? This is making me nervous to remove it incase the barrier is protecting pups and something happens

@triin Many dogs will react to another unstable dog and want to control them. To put it another way, they want to fix the distress and they want the dog to be calm. This looks like what is going on with your dogs. Quincy wants to help, but the barrier prevents her from interacting with another dog in her pack. Remember, Border Collies are "doers" - they want to take action and take charge. They don't like being made to do nothing and watch the world go by.

So, I don't think that this is threatening behavior - but you are definitely frustrating your Border Collie. At the same time, I understand why you don't want a small puppy unsupervised around an energetic teenage working dog.

@sothern1 Any ideas on a solution? Id prefer them seperated for now just cos Quincy doesnt quite realise how big and energetic she is but I dont want to cause more problems